Honored Contributor

Cause for celebration! Sweeping toxic people out of your life!

[ Edited ]

I have been working in a toxic job for eight months.  There are so many friends where I work and I enjoyed the customers, and well, just everything!  I "styled" people and sold 150-160 percent over my established goal.  Never got a review that I didn't get a raise.

Have you ever worked with someone that seemed nice, but everywhere she worked was miserable?  Well, after several months in other areas she's with us!  Loud and she lied about her knowledge of the extremely expensive items we sell, fine gems!  I "so" feel for her customers!

I've "had it" with toxic".  Management won't help! Today I got a position with a crafts group I have always been drawn to!  I can't stand to just sit home; don't want to do the kinds of things where you donate time, I'm back to a type of teaching!  Yeah!

Have you been forced to deal with toxic people?

Have you ever delt with "that one"?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cause for celebration! Sweeping toxic people out of your life!

Although I work with fine people and do enjoy my main job, there are 2 people that I consider toxic. I try to stay out of their orbit as much as I can.

A month ago I got a new side job for a few hours a week as a skating ambassador, assisting begining or timid skaters. It sure is a refreshing change from working behind a desk all day and allows me some social engagement.

I now say that, "I have one job to pay the bills and one job to pay my soul."

Contributor

Not sure if this is the same thing or not,my in laws who we live right next door to,husband and father in. Law were constantly in yelling matches practically every other day,I finally had in February of this year,husband and father in law were arguing. Again and I just said enough,I told father in law to go home,and act like a child bully,then I will treat you like one,fast forward come Easter we just stayed home, now husband and l are a lot more calmer plus our marriage is better and no fighting  to date.

Honored Contributor

11934688_1038258509560064_1693797530_n.jpg (320×320)

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I have been working in a toxic job for eight months.  There are so many friends where I work and I enjoyed the customers, and well, just everything!  I "styled" people and sold 150-160 percent over my established goal.  Never got a review that I didn't get a raise.

Have you ever worked with someone that seemed nice, but everywhere she worked was miserable?  Well, after several months in other areas she's with us!  Loud and she lied about her knowledge of the extremely expensive items we sell, fine gems!  I "so" feel for her customers!

I've "had it" with toxic".  Management won't help! Today I got a position with a crafts group I have always been drawn to!  I can't stand to just sit home; don't want to do the kinds of things where you donate time, I'm back to a type of teaching!  Yeah!

I don't understand the original post. If you onl;y worked there for 8 months how many reviews and raises could you have gotten? And do you consider runnjing away to another job  "dealing with it?" I would not consider that a positive way to deal with a situation.

Respected Contributor

ECBG, I am a little confused by your post.  How long were you at this company?  How long was the 'toxic' person with the company?  Which of you were in your dept. for 8 months?  What was the reason you and she could not get along?  Just curious - wanted to understand the post a little better.  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I don't understand the original post. If you onl;y worked there for 8 months how many reviews and raises could you have gotten? And do you consider runnjing away to another job  "dealing with it?" I would not consider that a positive way to deal with a situation.

I may be wrong, but I understood her to mean that she had been working at a great job for quite some time and it was eight months ago that Ms. Toxic showed up in her work group and life became miserable. OP, care to clarify?

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG

Congratulations on your new job! I hope you enjoy it.

I had a toxic boss for some time before I retired. In my case It was best to stick it out until retirement.  

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been there four years and the toxic co worker has been on my little team  eight months.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have dealt with toxic people at work and in social groups. I can avoid them somewhat, but that isn't always possible. I have dealt with passive aggressive types, rumor spreaders, and back stabbers. I am relieved when these people move on, but sometimes you just have to do your best to cope.