Contributor
Carolyn selling horizontal stripe t- shirt assuring us that this particular stripe is slenderizing. HA ha ha...they will say anything to make a sale ! All the female hosts, no matter what garment they are selling, will always use "slenderizing" as a sale pitch...no matter what it is.
Frequent Contributor

Since when does a middle aged man know about fashion, I guess men know what they think looks good on women, but it seems strange to me!

Valued Contributor

I am not fond of Gary. Why?, I don't really know but don't think he adds anything to the show. As for Carolyn, she as they say, could sell ice to an eskimo with that , I'm just like you down home persona she tries to exhibit. The all have their methods of selling. Hers hits the mark with many who believe she could be their best friend or neighbor. Since she is not stick thin but more like a majority of viewers, she is a fan favorite. It is really her job to convince us that she is just your average lady next door. Now this is just my opinion but sometime just watch each sales person and analyze their method of salesmanship. It is an interesting study.

Super Contributor

Carolyn always comments how this or that will be slenderizing or slimming... nothing is slimming on her. In fact these pants emphasize her thighs terribly!

Honored Contributor

I think Carolyn seems like she would be a great friend to have, but her wearing big horizontal stripes is "exhibit A" as to how slenderizing they are. Not for me.

Regular Contributor
On 1/28/2014 allaries said:

I am not fond of Gary. Why?, I don't really know but don't think he adds anything to the show. As for Carolyn, she as they say, could sell ice to an eskimo with that , I'm just like you down home persona she tries to exhibit. The all have their methods of selling. Hers hits the mark with many who believe she could be their best friend or neighbor. Since she is not stick thin but more like a majority of viewers, she is a fan favorite. It is really her job to convince us that she is just your average lady next door. Now this is just my opinion but sometime just watch each sales person and analyze their method of salesmanship. It is an interesting study.

I couldn't agree more. You are exactly right. Just watch one presentation and carefully listen to what is said. Just about everything that is said, whether by vendor or host, is a sales pitch and is designed to make you buy the product. I tried one time to count the number of sales pitches in a presentation and gave up because it was so many. QVC's only job is to separate you from your cash. Don't get me wrong, I love QVC and buy a lot, but I certainly don't buy because a host talked me into it or told me I would look thin.

Honored Contributor
On 1/28/2014 allaries said:

I agree. They each have their style of selling and the hosts have a variety of personalities which I'm sure QVC looks for. If they were all like Shawn, for example, it wouldn't work out, but she has her place as do the others to make for some variety. I think Carolyn was off base today saying that the striped shirt looked good with that jacket that had the 3 colors at the top. I wouldn't wear them together, but anything to make a sale. The jacket resembles Sports Savvy which I really liked, but I prefer getting matching pants to make a complete outfit.

Respected Contributor
On 1/28/2014 gazelle77 said:

Carolyn always comments how this or that will be slenderizing or slimming... nothing is slimming on her. In fact these pants emphasize her thighs terribly!

I would have to agree. A lot of what she wears is very unflattering.

I also don't see that this guy is bringing anything to the presentation that the hosts can't do themselves. Having a guest/vendor/buyer on with every product nowadays is really not necessary. It's overkill.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the key part of the word slenderizing is the "ing". Meaning, you could be a size 20 and look more slim in a particular garment. Not to mean that you will look like a size 6 if you wear this or that no matter what your size.

PS: I, too, do not care for horizontal stripes ~ on anyone.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor
On 1/28/2014 dollydogsgirl said:

Since when does a middle aged man know about fashion, I guess men know what they think looks good on women, but it seems strange to me!

Some of the best fashion designers in the world are middle aged men and older. Do the names Versace, Givenchy, Dior, St. Laurent, Lauren, Balenciaga, Calvin Klein mean anything to you?

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.