Valued Contributor

Re: Can I take a large brooch on an airline

@lavendar  Did you see the lame excuse from the TSA? I agree with you -- she wanted your scissors, which obviously could do no harm whatsoever. We are at their mercy when trying to get through security without hassles.

Valued Contributor

Every airport is different. I travel with my jewelry in a pouch in my carry on. Have never had an issue doing that. Once through security I put it on if I want. I've talked to women decked out in bangles who said they sailed through,  although for me I streamline the process as much as I can. I don't want to leave anything in one of those dishes as I'm rushed through the process.

Honored Contributor

It is my understanding the blades have to be a certain length, and I'm betting yours were too short to confiscate.  I had a pair of small scissors in my bag that I clip coupons with. I forgot to take them out before I left. Purse scanned OK and I'm sure they must have shown up.  Scanned OK at Sarasota coming home also.  It was only when I got home that I noticed they were still in my purse. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu

that is interesting.....i dont have the TSA PRE and i can rarely find any fault with the TSA security lines at BWI (which is the airport i use the most often.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

What is "preTSA?"

I use a wheelchair when I'm in airports. It was great in Italy; I never went through customs. I was wizzed by. Coming and going.

But years ago at O'Hare, where I had a stopover, I was told to take off my shoes and WALK. I pointed out I was in a wheelchair and I'd need help. I walked a few steps and told the women I thought I'd collapse. If she wanted me to do more she had to get her superior.

I often took off my shoes but no one ever said I had to walk.

Respected Contributor

@lavendar    TSA took my manicure scissors, too, saying I could go back upstairs to the post office to mail them home.  It was too much too late to do for the nifty tiny scissor.  Rules may have changed since then.  Check with that TSA number.  I would leave the pin home.

Esteemed Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

What is "preTSA?"

I use a wheelchair when I'm in airports. It was great in Italy; I never went through customs. I was wizzed by. Coming and going.

But years ago at O'Hare, where I had a stopover, I was told to take off my shoes and WALK. I pointed out I was in a wheelchair and I'd need help. I walked a few steps and told the women I thought I'd collapse. If she wanted me to do more she had to get her superior.

I often took off my shoes but no one ever said I had to walk.

TSA Pre-check is a program where you don't have to remove or take anything off when going through security.  You can sign up online.  I love it.  Pre-check line is always shorter.

Respected Contributor

How do you sign up for preTSV? I'll be wearing high boots, etc.

Frequent Contributor

Suggest putting jewery into a zip-lock plastic bag and then placing that plastic bag in purse or carry-on.  Things like gold wedding rings WILL NOT  set off the alarms,  so leave those on as usual.  If the brooch is attached to your coat, putting your coat (with pin attached) into one of the bins that go through the scanning device should be fine.  TSA  -  while a bit of a hassel, is worth it.    Look up the details on line.  Usually have to make an appointment and bring extra identification.    There is also a cost involved and it will be several days or weeks before you get the TSA number in the mail.  Wish you the best and have a wonderful trip.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

How do you sign up for preTSV? I'll be wearing high boots, etc.

@lavendar

it is $85 for 5 years......here is more information.

180 airports, 30 airlines

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein