New Contributor

Being proposed to at a Def Leppard concert & meeting the band...what to wear for that occasion???

[ Edited ]

I am 41 and my boyfriend is taking me to my fave 80's band, Def Leppard concert on Sept 1, 2015 at the Allentown Fairgrounds in PA.

Here's the tricky part...My boyfriend has arranged for me to meet the band and propose.
There will be pictures taken and I am stumped as to what to wear...

I am 5'4 and a sz 14...
And a redhead...

It will be warm, and I cannot wear a tank top at all...I am busty and I have some ugly scars on my upper arms from  medical treatments gone wrong...Scars go to my elbows...
Shorts are not an option same issue but can wear maxi dresses and skirts...
Jeans might be warm plus my legs are short- I have to wear bootcut and it high wedges.  I am also the closest human to the pallor of a vampire...

I seriously got the shallow end of the gene pool in a proportional body and the medical X File, as many doctors have told me. This would be my first halfway normal life event since last year. I had to have emergency surgery and finding out I have a rare inherited disease. I missed most of my late 20's and 30's doing the hospital tours in 2 states.
So I have been a lab rat and it is time I get to live life with some style!

Hoping to be able to Rock out in style and get the Grand Proposal with a little help from some fashionistas.Heart
Respected Contributor

Re: Being proposed to at a Def Leppard concert & meeting the band...what to wear for that occasi

I thought proposals were supposed to be surprises. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Being proposed to at a Def Leppard concert & meeting the band...what to wear for that occasi

I challenged when it comes to fashion but congratulations - how exciting for you!

Honored Contributor

Hi there, it sounds exciting!  Smiley Happy 

Proposals aren't what they used to be, they are events a lot of the time, and your BF came up with a good one for you.

I don't have a suggestion about style because I haven't been to a concert lately.  I'd advise you to go with what's you and wha'ts comfortable and looks good. Maybe go to a few smaller shops and ask for help planning an outfit. 

And how about seeing your hair stylist, maybe get it done for the evening, one less worry or chore for you to do that day.

Have fun!  I'm sorry to hear you've had a hard time of it medically, you deserve some fun Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Pooouurrrr Some Sugar On ME....

Dude!   don't sweat this sweetie...

1/ A bustier (black or lack lace) will give supprt while making you look totally hotttt

2/ Shrug :  black, red or leopard llite weight shrug...something light and filmy...whisper lite ...covers what you need to...

3/ slim skirt, pencil skirt.  could be leopard too but black or red is better

4/ booties, black, maybe with studs. no nylons, get some self-tanner...

5/ fingerless gloves, mesh, black

6/ Big earrings!!  AND Big HAIR

Esteemed Contributor

Do not wear something that looks like a costume. That's for the band!

You want to stand out- It's your big moment and you are the star!

My suggestion would be for a maxi and shrug with wedges, flat sandals or even sneakers as you will be outdoors at the fairgrounds and at that time of year it could still be warm and muggy. Hair in a flattering, low maintenance 'do. You will look romantic, beautiful, comfortable and appropriate.

And the proposal will be a surprise- for everyone else in the audience!

Esteemed Contributor

Forgot to add: only a cross body bag will do. Must keep that left hand free!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm assuming your guy didn't just pick a DL concert out of the clear blue, so I figure you must have some idea of what people wear to heavy metal concerts...??  But, if this is a legit question...

I'd go with one outrageous fabulous piece, like these (or any black leather jacket) which could be thrown over a maxi or a t-shirt and skirt...

This look would work, too, and is a little classier (IMHO)...wear a DL t-shirt lol.

Some jewelry and black boots and you're good to go...

Sidebar:  While looking around for rock/metal fashion, I came across this pic...I know it seems crazy given my age, but I love this and think I could pull it off!!!!!!!...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Contributor

How nice!!!  I will be at the concert too.  You are so lucky to be able to meet the band!!  I wish you and your soon to be fiancee the best!!

I just got this jacket from qvc and I adore it!!  a263662.  It is the coolest jacket, I styled it pretty much like Jackie the model did in the video. I am about the same size as you are ( minus the "busty" part, darn Smiley Happy  )   I get so many compliments on it when I wear it out. I have the white and the taupe.

I wear the white one with jeans and a long black tank top.

I think it is on easy pay right now too.

Just a suggestion, whatever you decide I know you will be beaming.

Good Luck,

JoAnne

Honored Contributor

@joa wrote:

How nice!!!  I will be at the concert too.  You are so lucky to be able to meet the band!!  I wish you and your soon to be fiancee the best!!

I just got this jacket from qvc and I adore it!!  a263662.  It is the coolest jacket, I styled it pretty much like Jackie the model did in the video. I am about the same size as you are ( minus the "busty" part, darn Smiley Happy  )   I get so many compliments on it when I wear it out. I have the white and the taupe.

I wear the white one with jeans and a long black tank top.

I think it is on easy pay right now too.

Just a suggestion, whatever you decide I know you will be beaming.

Good Luck,

JoAnne

SA by Seth Aaron Mesh Jacket with Faux Leather Detail

SA by Seth Aaron Mesh Jacket with Faux Leather Detail