Honored Contributor

Anyone Remember QVC's Fashion Tips in the 90's??

I do.... I especially remember the tip of never, ever buttoning only the top button to a sweater because they tended to make an A line from the top button and get widest at the hips (especially if they run a tad small)!  The hosts back then said especially if you had wide hips to begin with!  Now they are all doing it and I even heard one host remark recently that it's actually slimming!.... HAR!  Nuh uh... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Remember QVC's Fashion Tips in the 90's??

@Q4u  WOW!  I'm impressed.  You have an amazing memory.  Would you be my friend?  You'd have to move next door to me though.  I need a best friend that has a good memory.  Sometimes I don't remember which end is up!  Ha!

My daughters, trying to make me feel better say, "Mom, it's because you have so much information already stored there".

Yes, I've heard them say that many times but all that does is make my stomach stick out through the unbuttoned buttons!

Honored Contributor

I don't remember much at all from those years except that I bought lots of classic gold pieces.  I never bought much clothing from QVC which probably accounts for my not remembering those rules.

Honored Contributor

I do believe that the olden time fashion tips made a heck of a lot of sense............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Not only does that emphasize your hips............it also looks unflattering if you have broad shoulders (which I have).................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I think we should go back to more shoulder pads!!  Not the huge, huge ones that were out for awhile, but decent sized ones.  They really did help to balance the body out.  Especially if you are more narrow at the top and our bottom is a little more --- well, shall we say --- generous??  I seem to remember that they used to sell a lot of shoulder pads and even sets of different size ones to wear with different things.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

I don't remember that far back, but I do remember more recently Lisa saying to button a middle button under bustline for slimming effect I think.

Esteemed Contributor

One piece of advice that is often heard today is buy one in every color. I must admit I fell for it and regret several of those purchases because they remind me of times when I couldn't make up my mind.  Maybe if I had a job that required travel and interacting with lots of strangers, it would be different, but I would sometimes hear comments like, "Didn't you just wear that the other day in blue?"  😜

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Q4u  WOW!  I'm impressed.  You have an amazing memory.  Would you be my friend?  You'd have to move next door to me though.  I need a best friend that has a good memory.  Sometimes I don't remember which end is up!  Ha!

My daughters, trying to make me feel better say, "Mom, it's because you have so much information already stored there".

Yes, I've heard them say that many times but all that does is make my stomach stick out through the unbuttoned buttons!

Thanks, but honestly my  memory has always been trivia based.... I seem to store a ton of useless stuff.... great for parties....  but then forget why I went into the super market ....Woman Wink

I bought quite a bit of clothing back then for work and attending DH's business functions (loved SG during her striated poly, feels like silk era).... 

And I agree with your daughters.... unless we have a memory card we can install, we only have so much storage.... Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I don't think I discovered QVC until home with the flu in 2004.  I remember how funny I thought the name "Diamonique" was.  But I also remember thinking it was neat that they had a full range of fashion sizes from XS to 3X (I don't think they had XXS in those days).