Respected Contributor

Am I the only one.......

[ Edited ]

...who thinks that putting the term "boyfriend" on any item of clothing from the Joan Rivers collection is a little misplaced??  It just always strikes me funny when I hear that term from David Dangle......

I'm not knocking her line in any way, but it strikes me as being somthing for the mature woman and I associate the term "boyfriend" with clothing for teens and twenty-something women..

I know it's probably just my own quirck, but in watching a couple of minutes of David on Q-Check, I decided to finally post something regarding this to see if I was the only one who thought this term was a little off in being associated with her line.

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I the only one.......

Really never thought about it much... just assumed it means oversized and comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you need a BARN to own a barn jacket?

Respected Contributor

You are not the only one. If it were the 90's they'd be calling these shirts Big Shirts. I feel that it is a marketing tactic. Someone involved is thinking boyfriend shirt sounds more trendy and modern than big shirt. Just MHO ......
Esteemed Contributor

I think it has always been a style of clothing...at least that's what I thought...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a trend right now! Actually I think it is kind of cute!

I am a senior citizen that still tries to think young!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Do you need a BARN to own a barn jacket?

NO and you do not need a boyfriend to wear a boyfriend shirt......I was not talking about having either..........it's just a term that I (meaning myself) associate with a younger demographic in marketing clothing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me, it's women's clothing cut in a menswear style -- I also own boyfriend sweaters and boyfriend jackets.  None of them are Joan Rivers' brand, and no age requirement (I'm 67).

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I agree that it's meant to refer to the cut and style of the clothing.  I think it all started with the boyfriend blazer, which looked like a guys jacket.  Some of us (in days past) used to actually borrow our guy's jackets, shirts and jeans.  I think that was the start of it.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

...who thinks that putting the term "boyfriend" on any item of clothing from the Joan Rivers collection is a little misplaced??  It just always strikes me funny when I hear that term from David Dangle......

It tells me immediately what the cut and style of the shirt will be so, no, I don't think it's misplaced.  The term has been around for a long time.

I'm curious about your comment that I've put in bold.  Other designers or fashion vendors use that term.  Do you find it funny if someone like Bob Mackie uses it or other men?  Or is there just some "reason" you find it "funny" from David Dangle.....?  You may not be implying anything, but it sure seems like it.