Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}Updated yesterday and it works great .. I would tell everyone to update it takes a little time but, its worth it!

Respected Contributor
I did the update from 8 to 8.1 over the weekend. No problems seems in 8.1
Trusted Contributor

I've been using Windows since 3.1. I love Win 8 and haven't updated to 8.1 yet but will soon.

Just ask around and learn some new tricks about how to use it. I find 8 much easier because of some tips I learned.

Technology will constantly change and the changes happen faster all the time. We can't stop it so go with the flow (in this case.)

KJPA
Trusted Contributor
On 5/16/2014 chickenbutt said:

Until I got my husband's new laptop set up, I had totally avoided Win8 (my computers all have either Vista or 7), so it was definitely surprising how different it was.

But I knew that, for him, I had to make it as familiar as possible. The only thing that I like, that I was not able to get to 'take' was the Quick Launch bar. I tried a couple of times, using the instructions I had, and it just didn't go right. But the Classic Shell software allows you to have the 'start' button again and the things that it shows, so you can find everything easily.

Instead of having a separate area of the task bar for Quick Launch, you can just pin the icons for whatever you want to the task bar. Whatever is pinned can be opened in one click, just like Quick Launch.

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-desktop-shortcuts-icons

Occasional Contributor

Well I have a Dell laptop and I upgraded to 8.1 and now my SD drive doesn't work anymore and was told if I go back to 8 I would lose everything , so now I guess I will have to go buy an external sd drive. Hope it doesn't happen to anyone else

Honored Contributor
On 5/19/2014 Caffeina said:
On 5/16/2014 chickenbutt said:

Until I got my husband's new laptop set up, I had totally avoided Win8 (my computers all have either Vista or 7), so it was definitely surprising how different it was.

But I knew that, for him, I had to make it as familiar as possible. The only thing that I like, that I was not able to get to 'take' was the Quick Launch bar. I tried a couple of times, using the instructions I had, and it just didn't go right. But the Classic Shell software allows you to have the 'start' button again and the things that it shows, so you can find everything easily.

Instead of having a separate area of the task bar for Quick Launch, you can just pin the icons for whatever you want to the task bar. Whatever is pinned can be opened in one click, just like Quick Launch.

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-desktop-shortcuts-icons

Thanks for the info! Smiley Happy I've noticed that, but I do prefer the Quick Launch. You have the stuff to the left that you use the most, in its own separate compartment. Then, the rest of the bar is used for what you have currently open. Probably kind of dinosaur to some. That's ok. Smiley Happy

When I get my own first 8, or beyond, computer I'll have to learn to live with the change.

For now, I was able to install the QL to my Win7 computers so I'm happy.