Honored Contributor

tranferring from old laptop to a new one

am getting my new laptop this Wednesday--how do I transfer the stuff to the new one? Do I NEED to buy software? 

Honored Contributor

Re: tranferring from old laptop to a new one

@wagirl wrote:

am getting my new laptop this Wednesday--how do I transfer the stuff to the new one? Do I NEED to buy software? 

You don't "need" to buy software. It can make things easier, but you don't need it. If you've been doing regular backups on a cloud, or external hard drive, you can just move the files you want to the new computer.

If you aren't currently backing up your stuff then Microsoft has their free OneDrive where you can store 5 GBs of data for free. You can shuffle stuff there, then download it to your new computer. Then you can then delete those 5GBs of data on One Drive and repeat it with another 5 GBs of stuff. You can also just email your new computer photos or files you want as attachments then download them onto the new computer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor

There is a product called PC mover.  Available at Amazon.  It does take hours to do it.  JUST make sure that you do a compete virus scan on your old computer B4 you start.  Do the long scan that takes a few hours.

I didn't do that & transfered a virus to my new computer.  Not fun.

If you have a tons pictures you may want to weed out the duplicates.  There are products on Amazon like Picture Keeper that you can back up your photos B4 you start

Hope this helps. 

Esteemed Contributor

I buy a  portable Western Digital hard drive from Amazon with an extension cable. These are sold together.

You need to save your browser bookmarks. This is called exporting and importing bookmarks. 

There should be a YouTube video about transferring data to a new computer.