Contributor

I am shopping for a new 32" tv and want to know about smart tv. Do you recommend this to an older not too savey person?  I like a somewhat simple life where I can't get into too much trouble.  Thanks for any input to my decision making.  I am also interested in brand recommendation for someone on a budget.  Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

I recently purchased a 40" Samsung Smart TV from Costco.com - and I'm totally challenged. I got it on sale for $300 - with a 2-year free Costco warranty -- and an additional 3 yr warranty thru Costco (Fair Trade) for a total of $30. Can't beat that!!!! I replaced my 30 yr old, 26" Sanyo t.v. This is the BEST tv I ever owned. If this tv is for a bigger room, u may want to get a 40".

You can also call or email Costco and they'll recommend which tv fits ur needs - and u can also read the reviews on their site. If u have any problems, Costco handles it quickly.

Honored Contributor

http://www.howtogeek.com/176392/smart-tvs-are-stupid-why-you-dont-really-want-a-smart-tv/

this might help

Do you watch Netflix or any of the other streaming video services? those are reasons to have one

how to buy a smart tv  my google search for u

Respected Contributor

you really only need a smart tv if you want to stream movies or tv shows from Netflix or Hulu or Amazon.  It really just means your smart tv can be used with your wifi directly without using a device such as Roku or one of the other ones.  Your smart tv is wifi ready, just hook up like you did with your computer and your good to go.  So if youre interested in one of those services then a smart tv is a nice choice.

Honored Contributor

I haven't felt comfortable with the Smart TV yet, but we have some Roku3 units and a Blu-ray player, so we're more than set.  Also, my Tivos have streaming.

I don't know how different brands are for all the streaming stuff but it's worth looking into.  For example, my Roku3 units seem to have very fast processors.  My Tivos, OTOH, aren't as good.  I wouldn't be without them but I almost totally use the Roku3 for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

As for Smart TVs, I'd want to know how good the processors are for streaming.  Also, you probably know you need to have a network, right?

One of my favorite TV/electronics brands is Sony.  I hear good things about Samsung.  I also like Toshiba a lot.

I need to find a comfort level with electronics that do so many things - i.e. so many things to go wrong.  Smiley Happy  Not quite there yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Energy Star http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/tv.html  This is an older link that looks at energy star.

A new article http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size

Most TV's are energy star, save a tree.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I haven't felt comfortable with the Smart TV yet, but we have some Roku3 units and a Blu-ray player, so we're more than set.  Also, my Tivos have streaming.

I don't know how different brands are for all the streaming stuff but it's worth looking into.  For example, my Roku3 units seem to have very fast processors.  My Tivos, OTOH, aren't as good.  I wouldn't be without them but I almost totally use the Roku3 for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

As for Smart TVs, I'd want to know how good the processors are for streaming.  Also, you probably know you need to have a network, right?

One of my favorite TV/electronics brands is Sony.  I hear good things about Samsung.  I also like Toshiba a lot.

I need to find a comfort level with electronics that do so many things - i.e. so many things to go wrong.  Smiley Happy  Not quite there yet.

Yes, yes, yes - and LG.   8)

Occasional Contributor

My mom got a Samsung smart tv. She loves it! She's 82 and can figure it out, although my son did set it up for her. She loves to watch concerts from You Tube on the big screen.

Respected Contributor

@17thfloor wrote:

I am shopping for a new 32" tv and want to know about smart tv. Do you recommend this to an older not too savey person?  I like a somewhat simple life where I can't get into too much trouble.  Thanks for any input to my decision making.  I am also interested in brand recommendation for someone on a budget.  Thanks again.

Do you have dementia?  If not, you can learn new things.  I wish people would stop using age as an excuse to not learn technology.  Learning how to use a computer or smart TV is no different than learning ANYTHING new.  It takes a willingness and practice. 

You don't have to use the internet part of the TV if you don't want. I want an episode of Downton Abbey last night through my Smart TV using Amazon Prime.  All it takes is to have an account and push a couple of buttons.  I say go for it. 

Honored Contributor

Last year I needed to replace 4 old boxy tvs. I got 2 19", 1 32", and a 50", all Samsung. I really think as far as tvs go Samsung is tops. I thought I just had to get a Smart TV and the 32" and 50" are. In all honesty I haven't ever used the smart features! Maybe I'm not "smart" enough not being tech savvy. I spend so much money on my cable bill each month I don't want to spend an additional $10 a month for Netflix or Hulu. If your not going to use the smart features save your money and buy a regular TV.