Esteemed Contributor

Re: size of notepad

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

another casualty of the Windows 10 update that crippled my pc is the

size of the notepad. It's gigantic, anyone know how to make it smaller, so, I can see my other buttons on the upper right. It's hard to 'x' out now.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-text-apps-bigger-windows-10

read, thanks, doesn't tell how to make the actual page not as wide and high. My page is so wide I don't have the 3 buttons at the top right.

How to reset wordpad back to factory settings. You may want to try step one.

http://www.howtogeek.com/256137/how-to-reset-notepad-to-its-default-settings-on-windows/

Honored Contributor

I don't have a tree listing.............****

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Gonna cost me money to drag in. We're older folks and have to lug in a tower to the pc place and pay 100 or more for something due to no fault of our own.

When this one goes out we're going to strictly tablet. No fears of hackers, updates, etc.   Enough to access the internet and send emails, send a few pictures, all we need anyway.

I don't like this 'stuff' of we paying for a pricey desktop computer and for ISP service and have no control over our own machines. Don't sit well with us.

I'm an "older folk" myself and that's exactly what I did a while back because I feel the same way as you.  My laptop was getting to the point where it needed to be replaced, but I've been unhappy with Microsoft and their incompetence for a few years now.  I admit I'm a novice when it comes to electronics, but the only time I've had problems with my computer was when Microsoft screwed it up with their darned updates!  After reading about Windows 10 being automatic and what they had planned for Windows 7 as well, I switched to an iPad.  I don't need all the bells and whistles of a computer and my brain doesn't work well enough anymore to deal with all the hoops I was having to jump through just to access the internet.

Apple isn't perfect either, but it's better than the alternative.  If I didn't need to print some things for my husband, I'd get rid of my wifi too, which would be another headache relieved.  

You have my sympathies!

Honored Contributor

It's just not right. People buy what they think they can live with and what they need to get their needs met.

You pay good money for a computer and all I ask is not to come in and change the plays in the middle of the ballgame. Simple as that.

To put it bluntly keep your *********** off my equipment. Doesn't give you the right to change the way I upload my pics from MY camera. Doesn't give you the right to change the size of my notepad. Notification box I had to get rid of altogether because it kept piling up messages that I wasn't allowed to open anyway.

Unbelievable, now, unless I can do a remote with somebody I can trust I have to pack it up and be without a desktop for probably a week.

I'm disgusted

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

It's just not right. People buy what they think they can live with and what they need to get their needs met.

You pay good money for a computer and all I ask is not to come in and change the plays in the middle of the ballgame. Simple as that.

To put it bluntly keep your *********** off my equipment. Doesn't give you the right to change the way I upload my pics from MY camera. Doesn't give you the right to change the size of my notepad. Notification box I had to get rid of altogether because it kept piling up messages that I wasn't allowed to open anyway.

Unbelievable, now, unless I can do a remote with somebody I can trust I have to pack it up and be without a desktop for probably a week.

I'm disgusted

Do a backup then a system recovery.  It's free and you can do it yourself.  It's a way for you to learn about your computer and become more savvy. 

Honored Contributor

think you mean system restore. don't think it would make any difference because MS will still keep doing the updates you don't have the option of declining any potential new changes. So, your constantly fighting something you have no control over, but, thank you for your comments.

I got rid of One Drive, now, I can't upload pics at all. I don't want what they want me to want. LOL   Taking the thing into repair on MOn. and shell out for something that wasn't my fault. I was going along happy as a lark till the updates took an hr to download I knew then I was in trouble.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

think you mean system restore. don't think it would make any difference because MS will still keep doing the updates you don't have the option of declining any potential new changes. So, your constantly fighting something you have no control over, but, thank you for your comments.

I got rid of One Drive, now, I can't upload pics at all. I don't want what they want me to want. LOL   Taking the thing into repair on MOn. and shell out for something that wasn't my fault. I was going along happy as a lark till the updates took an hr to download I knew then I was in trouble.

I don't think you get it.  Many times there are problems and conflicts when updating to a new operating system because of the programs installed or old drivers.  Doing a factore restore allows you to update to Windows 10 before anything is installed and a clean install always works better. There also may be a way to block the installation of Windows 10.  I read something to that affect here when the update first started. 

You need a backup whether you do it yourself or take it into a shop.  There is a chance the repair shop will need to start over if the corruption is too difficult to repair.  You run the risk of losing everything if you don't backup first. 

Honored Contributor

yeah, I make discs of my music and my pictures