Esteemed Contributor

"Only Secure Content if Displayed"

[ Edited ]

I need help at this point.

Every time I come onto the boards, and only here, the banner with "Only Secure Content Is Displayed," with an option on the right side, pops up on the bottom of the screen.  Regardless of what I do, it continues to reappear every 2 or so minutes.

Can someone help me figure out what my computer is doing?  This banner didn't start popping up until perhaps 10 days or 2 weeks ago. I do have AVG loaded on my laptop, which I run to clean things up once a day.

Many thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: "Show Only Secure Content?"

@sfnative

Secure content is not possible (I read on here) when looking at a site where others post pictures.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@sfnative

Please read this thread re: why you're getting this message:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/Only-secure-content-is-displayed-popping-up/m-p/3648550#...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1

This darn banner appears to be popping up whenever - really!  And, I agree with your statement, as so much junk can be attached within a photo/cartoon which can be some really bad stuff.  That's one of the reasons that the DoD did not allow any DVDs or CDs - zip, zero, nada. None of our Dell computers had drives to accommodate them.  If a doc had a photo that was a still shot from a procedure, he/she could attach it to an email via flash drive, but I could not, because my computer did not have the "clearance" to send or receive such an email.  It was all rather complicated, but one of the ways the DoD kept things as "clean" as possible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

lovestoteach wrote:

@sfnative

Secure content is not possible (I read on here) when looking at a site where others post pictures.

That's not what's happening in this case, @LTT1.    Normally on this Community, even with the banners, images, etc., the security warning will not/should not appear.

You'll notice the threads about this warning message/security alert only showed up in the past week or so, but this site always has had banners and pictures.    This problem is new and it's related to the most recent programming mess on this website -- I hope posters are aware of this and take it seriously.

@sfnative,  It's not your computer, it's sloppy programming on QVC's website and the security of our data and our activity here is dubious at best until the technical support team fixes the quagmire they've created.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo

Many thanks for the clarification.  Very informative and relieves my mind of a great deal, but does add on some concerns.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@dooBdoo

Many thanks for the clarification.  Very informative and relieves my mind of a great deal, but does add on some concerns.

I have the same thing here.I think it is my computer protecting/informing me of this unsecure  site

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@sfnative

That's not what's happening in this case, @LTT1.    Normally on this Community, even with the banners, images, etc., the security warning will not/should not appear.

You'll notice the threads about this warning message/security alert only showed up in the past week or so, but this site always has had banners and pictures.    This problem is new and it's related to the most recent programming mess on this website 

@dooBdoo,  NOT SO.

For as long as I have reading the forums, which is a lot longer than the "past week or so", the option to only display secured content pops up on screen after screen when I use a library PC. It is ALWAYS there, and the librarian said this is due to the pictures and links posters insert in threads.

Recent work by QVC IT staff may have caused it to start appearing to posters remarking that it's new to them. But the security settings on the public PCs I use have always prompted that notice.

Trusted Contributor

Re: "Only Secure Content if Displayed"

[ Edited ]

I saw that other thread too, where members were mentioning that they had this security message popping up.

Members were saying that they saw that notice coming up when using Internet Explorer as their browser.

When I was thinking back, I used to see security notices or warnings like that too, when I used IE.

I'm editing my post again, after doing some more checking because I didn't see the script warning message at the other side of the search bar, here in Chrome, where this website is trying to load unauthorized scripts on my computer. Sorry about that. Smiley Embarassed

When you look at the search bar, you do see "https" before the community address, and it looks like the page is secure, but when you check, Google indicates that the page is not completely secure, so it is trying to warn you like those of you who are getting the messages from Internet Explorer. 

Sorry again for any confusion in my post. Smiley Embarassed

That's the thing about using different browsers. Messages will show up differently in each one. Smiley Frustrated

I would still try using a different browser though, and see what happens--what kind of message you might get, and what kind of pop-up you might get.

I'm not getting any pop-ups in Chrome, but like I said below, I also use an Ad blocker, too. That helps to take care of pop-ups. 

I edited my post previously to add that I would suggest that if someone is having this problem with Internet Explorer, that they just try using another/different browser, and see if that changes anything for them. 

I also use an ad blocker, so I don't know if that makes a difference either regarding what I'm not experiencing, and my Chromebook has a built-in antivirus and anti-spyware program, too, so I don't have to worry about choosing those types of programs, since they're built-in to the Chromebook's features. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hedge wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

lovestoteach wrote:

@sfnative

That's not what's happening in this case, @lovestoteach.    Normally on this Community, even with the banners, images, etc., the security warning will not/should not appear.

You'll notice the threads about this warning message/security alert only showed up in the past week or so, but this site always has had banners and pictures.    This problem is new and it's related to the most recent programming mess on this website 

@dooBdoo,  NOT SO.

For as long as I have reading the forums, which is a lot longer than the "past week or so", the option to only display secured content pops up on screen after screen when I use a library PC. It is ALWAYS there, and the librarian said this is due to the pictures and links posters insert in threads.

Recent work by QVC IT staff may have caused it to start appearing to posters remarking that it's new to them. But the security settings on the public PCs I use have always prompted that notice.

@x HedgeWhat you describe was a result of the way the library configured their software (or specific versions, etc.)    Allowing public access, not knowing how anyone will use their devices or what sites they might try to visit, they very likely and smartly (and should) restrict beyond the norm.    It wasn't because "secure content is not possible (I read on here) when looking at a site where others post pictures."  

My comment only meant that the blanket statement is incorrect, and I didn't want posters to think with images allowed this site is never secure.    IE is more likely to discover problems, and display the alert, on sites with banners and images...  mixed content, secure and non-secure.   Posters also will have different levels of protection with different browsers, addons/extensions, etc., and again a public computer will have problems we don't normally see with personal devices.

What has happened here is that a major change has been made in the website which is linking the previously less-secure (http) Community forums with the more-secure (https) shopping site.   In coding the change, the less-than-stellar IT support has placed us in a dubious state of protection and we're seeing the reports in the past week or so because of that change.   

This is a new problem on this site, something we should be concerned about, and something the tech team needs to address.    Simply turning off the warning or bypassing it doesn't fix the problem inherent to the code.   I hope posters will continue to voice their alarm about this until the IT staff actually pay attention and secure the site(s).   I'm glad you raised the question, can certainly see why the librarian would say that, and I hope it helps, at least a wee bit, to explain where I'm coming from...  I know it's aggravating for everyone but it's always encouraging for us to see so much interest, discussion, and support for each other.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova