Respected Contributor

odd problem with my iPhone

[ Edited ]

When I first started using my iPhone, I also kept my home phone.  When I got a new plan from Verizon, it included a home phone but it's not a true landline.  I have my home phone transfered to my cell phone while I transition to cell phone only.  Most people I know still call the home phone number when they call me.  I've been trying to get people to call my cell number because when my contract is up, I'm dropping the home phone.  Here is the problem, when some people call, they must add the area code or the call won't go through.  If I use my home phone to call my cell, I don't.  I'm calling Verizon this morning and see what they have to say.  Has anyone heard of this? 

Honored Contributor

Re: odd problem with my iPhone

Not sure I understand the problem but as I have experienced it you have to use an area code when you call a cell phone.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I don't believe the problem is yours.  It's how the caller has their own phone set up, or their phone provider (land line) has it set.

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

When I first started using my iPhone, I also kept my home phone.  When I got a new plan from Verizon, it included a home phone but it's not a true landline.  I have my home phone transfered to my cell phone while I transition to cell phone only.  Most people I know still call the home phone number when they call me.  I've been trying to get people to call my cell number because when my contract is up, I'm dropping the home phone.  Here is the problem, when some people call, they must add the area code or the call won't go through.  If I use my home phone to call my cell, I don't.  I'm calling Verozon this morning and see what they have to say.  Has anyone heard of this? 

I have not heard of this, we have to use the area code with all numbers here.

you could program your home phone to forward to your cell.

just a thought

Honored Contributor

We just went to an all calls, all the time needing an area code first -  even if we're calling next door.    (Suffol County, NY)

Respected Contributor

Interesting.  I can still call without entering the area code as long as it's the same one as the phone I'm using to make the call.  From what I'm hearing, I guess that will change.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

Has anyone found a work-around for needing to have a corded phone to plug in, during power outages that also take down local cell towers?  

We were without power a few years ago after a land hurricane, & the only phones that worked were the old-fashioned plug-in phones (NOT cordless phones, nor our cell phones).  But since then we have started using Vonage for an inexpensive monthly fee for a home phone, dropping the more expensive phone service for our home number; but it won't help during an emergency described as above.  Does anyone have a solution?  We live out in the deep woods/mountains, with few neighbors.

To answer your original Q, @glb613: yes I have had that issue happen before, too.  Some people don't like using an area code because they think they will be charged long-distance, so just make sure you make it clear that this is a cellphone & they won't incur long distance charges, & to be aware of this issue.  There are other issues that can come up, such as calling home & it seems as if the call is going through because it rings, but it isn't actually going through.  Then we think someone wasn't here to answer, but they were - that happens sometimes, too.  That could be a problem with someone who is using the phone for a wellness-check, then thinking something bad happened because they didn't pick up, while the calls just weren't really going through.  Something to keep in mind, wanted to give you a heads-up.  

Good luck with your transition!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

When I first started using my iPhone, I also kept my home phone.  When I got a new plan from Verizon, it included a home phone but it's not a true landline.  I have my home phone transfered to my cell phone while I transition to cell phone only.  Most people I know still call the home phone number when they call me.  I've been trying to get people to call my cell number because when my contract is up, I'm dropping the home phone.  Here is the problem, when some people call, they must add the area code or the call won't go through.  If I use my home phone to call my cell, I don't.  I'm calling Verizon this morning and see what they have to say.  Has anyone heard of this? 

@glb613, I have heard of this.   If I remember correctly, it's provider-specific.   And if you're calling from a phone with the same provider, you don't have to enter the area code.   I'd be curious to know what Verizon said, if you get a minute to post back here again.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Serenity-Now wrote:

Has anyone found a work-around for needing to have a corded phone to plug in, during power outages that also take down local cell towers?  

We were without power a few years ago after a land hurricane, & the only phones that worked were the old-fashioned plug-in phones (NOT cordless phones, nor our cell phones).  But since then we have started using Vonage for an inexpensive monthly fee for a home phone, dropping the more expensive phone service for our home number; but it won't help during an emergency described as above.  Does anyone have a solution?  We live out in the deep woods/mountains, with few neighbors.

To answer your original Q, @glb613: yes I have had that issue happen before, too.  Some people don't like using an area code because they think they will be charged long-distance, so just make sure you make it clear that this is a cellphone & they won't incur long distance charges, & to be aware of this issue.  There are other issues that can come up, such as calling home & it seems as if the call is going through because it rings, but it isn't actually going through.  Then we think someone wasn't here to answer, but they were - that happens sometimes, too.  That could be a problem with someone who is using the phone for a wellness-check, then thinking something bad happened because they didn't pick up, while the calls just weren't really going through.  Something to keep in mind, wanted to give you a heads-up.  

Good luck with your transition!

@Serenity-Now,  My memory is rusty about this, but I think even after you disconnect regular service there are laws requiring the providers to keep a "soft" connection on your physical landline, meaning it's still active in the sense that it will connect you to 911.   So, if the old line is still intact you might want to contact your former carrier or the FTC to see if this applies in your locale.   Regarding cell phones, even when some towers are out, it's  a problem.    This article does have a couple of good tips, though:

"Tips & Tricks for Using Your Cell Phone in Emergencies"

https://www.puretalkusa.com/blog/tips-and-tricks-for-using-cell-phones-in-emergencies/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@glb613, I have heard of this.   If I remember correctly, it's provider-specific.   And if you're calling from a phone with the same provider, you don't have to enter the area code.   I'd be curious to know what Verizon said, if you get a minute to post back here again.

They claim to never have heard of this before me.  The two neighbors are both using landlines with AT&T and my cell phone is with Verizon.  That shouldn't make a difference since we are all in the same area code.  I'm going to send out an e-mail to friends and ask them to call my cell and see what happens.  I plan on dropping my home phone (although it really isn't a landline) in the near future.  But I may have to reconsider if people will have problems calling my cell.  The neighbor trying to call never thought to add the area code when her call wouldn't go through and I'm sure no one else will either.