Honored Contributor

iPad 2nd generation how to transfer photos from SDCard?

[ Edited ]

I have the Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader and the 30 - pin to USB Cable. Not tech smart . I wanted to transfer photos from SD Card to my iPad. Help or sggestions please. Thank you, SouthernBee.

Frequent Contributor

Re: iPad 2nd generation how to transfer photos from SDCard?

Hi There,

If the iPad you have has a Lightening port then just plug the card reader in, and then insert your card. The card reader should show up in the Photos Software.

If your iPad still has the 30 pin port, you will need a card reader with that.

You might also think about importing the photos to a computer, and then transferring them to the iPad either via a cable or wirelessly using Photostream or Dropbox.

Good Luck and enjoy your photos !

Honored Contributor

Thanks for verifying, @Katrin B - I started to respond last night, but didn't think there was any way to do it with what the OP said she had.

For a year or two after the lightning connector was introduced, Apple still sold a 3-pin SD card reader; as far as I could see online, they no longer do.

If you look on Amazon, there are third-party mfg work-arounds that will work for the OP, but read the reviews carefully - some of the cheap made-in-China ones are no good voltage-wise.

If the camera is wi-fi you can do it that way - if you have zippy wifi. I used to transfer with wifi, but even with fast wifi it took awhile. With the SD card reader it takes seconds, even with 50+ photos.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Katrin B : Thank you. DH has a computer but has memory and confusion issues and could not decide what to do. I do not see a lightening port on my IPad, then I will need a extra card reader for the 30 pin port but confused on what to do. SouthenBee

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde: Thank you. My camera is the Nikon CoolPic S2900. I will be going on a cruise on the 23rd and trying to decide what I need or should I purchase another camera. Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an older iPad and purchased a camera connection kit for it years ago.  It comes from Apple and allows you to connect either a SD card or a USB device.  I'm sure there is something similar for the newest versions of the iPad. 

There is a poster (I can't remember their name) who posts all of the time about needing a dongle for everything you want to connect. There isn't a lot of things you can connect to either an iPad or iPhone.  Head phones, power cords and a SD connection are the only things I can think of.  The power cord comes with the device.  If you do use headphones, you will need to connect them with an adapter or dongle or buy a compatible set of ear buds. If you buy an adapter/dongle that works with devices using an USB connection, one adapter will work for everything that connects that way. 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Moonchilde: Thank you. My camera is the Nikon CoolPic S2900. I will be going on a cruise on the 23rd and trying to decide what I need or should I purchase another camera. Southern Bee

@SouthernBee, this is what you need:

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit: MC531ZM/A (MC531ZM/A)

Look on Amazon. Not sure the Apple site still sells it but third party sellers on Amazon do. If you try to use wifi for photos on a cruise it will cost you a fortune.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde: Thank You!!! I was trying to research and read reviews.  I am happier with your product suggestion and just placed the order and will be delivered on Monday.i really appreciate your help. SouthernBee

Honored Contributor

Glad I could help, @SouthernBee :-)

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde: Thank again.   Problem solved and can focus on packing. So many people have been very kind and helpful when I have had problems or issues. I know we can research but very special when people provide information from tried and true circumstances. SouthernBee