Respected Contributor

I finally figured out how to upload photos from iPhoto to my iCloud drive.  Unlike some, I prefer iPhoto to the Photo app/program.  I have all of my important photos and documents on external drives but thought it would be smart to have cloud storage as well.  What I don't seem to be able to do is upload photos and documents directly from my external hard drives.  Am I missing something?  There is no export in the file menu when I use my external drives.  So, to get the data in the cloud I have to first transfer it to my computer's hard drive.  I've purposely move data off so I don't use so much hard drive space.   Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613

I am going to notify @dooBdoo

since she knows EVERYTHING! (jk)

I will surmise the same as you...that the external drive has no “export” so therefore, the photo must go thru your computer first.

I use the “Dropbox” program as “cloud” storage. It uploads AND downloads, but uploading is painfully slow.  Purchased a “Data-Logix” “key” to store mostly videos and since it is a birthday present for DH, I have not practiced with it yet.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

What I don't seem to be able to do is upload photos and documents directly from my external hard drives.  Am I missing something?  There is no export in the file menu when I use my external drives. 

Are you using Time Machine?  "Restore" will move your files back to where they were originally.  From there, you can move to iCloud.

You should also post your question on Apple's iPhoto and iCloud forums.

" So, to get the data in the cloud I have to first transfer it to my computer's hard drive."

You can't then transport your data to iCloud from your desktop?

I also use iPhoto as its easier to use their slideshow than Photo.

Never used iCloud.  I use Dropbox which is very simple for my needs.  What I like about DB is that it provides links to files if I want to share them.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

What I don't seem to be able to do is upload photos and documents directly from my external hard drives.  Am I missing something?  There is no export in the file menu when I use my external drives. 

Are you using Time Machine?  "Restore" will move your files back to where they were originally.  From there, you can move to iCloud.

You should also post your question on Apple's iPhoto and iCloud forums.

" So, to get the data in the cloud I have to first transfer it to my computer's hard drive."

You can't then transport your data to iCloud from your desktop?

I also use iPhoto as its easier to use their slideshow than Photo.

Never used iCloud.  I use Dropbox which is very simple for my needs.  What I like about DB is that it provides links to files if I want to share them.

It looks like I can drag and drop folders and files to iCloud through Finder.  I know if you access iCloud storage settings through system preferences, the only photo program listed is Photos.

With all of the natural disasters, house fires, theft and other ways you can lose your data, I really want to get my pictures someplace other than external hard drives.  I've used several different online storage and every company went out of business.  That's why I want to stick with Apple. 

Honored Contributor

Re: iCloud storage

[ Edited ]

Ok, now, @LTT1!   You really did make me laugh out loud!   I know far less than "everything" and only a wee bit more than "nothing!"🙃😛   You and @glb613 and @Mz iMac  know more than I about this particular issue -- and my limited knowledge tells me all of you are on the right track!   Have a lovely, safe, and warm day, everyone!😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

And God Bless You All. You have my undying admiration. I don't understand a word any of you said! LOL