Honored Contributor

Re: advice on new phone purchase

@bonnielu wrote:

@hckynut  How are you doing?  Remember someone was under the weather.  Always respect everything you have to say and hoped you would answer my post.  

@bonnielu

My wife and I am doing pretty well. I am still dealing with what appears to not heal. Been going tp Advanced Injury Hospital for a couple months now. Danged sore where I "sit". Heals a bit, then starts again.

Appreciate you asking about us. 2016 was not the best, but we and many others, have had worse. Hoping you and yours are doing well.

Many or most TracFones have fairly good rear cameras and quad core processors, not really cheap phones. Just much cheaper than the Galaxy S5  my wife is using or an iPhone.

I hardly use my TracFone, but I update to a new one every year. It is cheaper to buy new than adding a years service minutes. Never spend over $90 for any of them. All the features, but I just ain't into them.

hckynut(john)

Best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

If you're happy with a "flagship" phone and are willing to plunk down the money, then Apple. Frankly, there isn't that much difference between the two anymore. There are things about an iPhone 7 that are disturbing. I was not happy with the missing earphone jack. Do you want to pay extra for air pods $$$ or dongles? The Samsung Galaxy 8 may also do away with the earphone jack. (rumor.)

If you are comfortable with an Android operating system, then there's nothing wrong with staying with it. If you have other Apple products, then an iPhone makes sense. Either the S7 or the iPhone 7 have great cameras. 

Prepaid with a simpler phone may work best for your DH. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  Not a great month for me... 2016 was going fine until we went on a square dancing cruise on a BEAUTIFUL AND CLEAN SHIP.  That was about all they had going for them.  Long story short, safety was not their thing.  Fell on dance floor, tumbled over hubby who fell over me. You cannot make this up.  I then stumbled on poorly designed flickering stairs in theater.   After that IT WAS ALL OVER.  Elevators were crowded and people rude so we walked  stairs.  By the time I got home could not walk at all.   Finally recovering with help of three difference kinds of health professionals.  However it could have been worse.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

@hckynut You are right, love to get him the BASICS, but I feel so guilty that I would get the latest, greatest, most expensive phone out there and HE gets the opposite.  Yep, you have a great idea.  He might not even know the difference.  Woman LOL

Why don't you discuss it with him and see what he wants ? Then that is what he gets. It sounds like he would do well with a tracfone - buy once and you are good for 2 years and it comes out in the end to only $8 a month. He would have some use of the internet and texting but it is limited. Then you get the phone and service you want.There is no reason you both have to have the same.

Respected Contributor

Gi to BEST BUY  they have special plan pricing  much cheaper than with sprint direct.  I had unlimited text, data, calls for $45/mo if you go threw sprint direct it is $79/mo I believe. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is winter weather in most of the country. Companies still need to sell handsets.  I noticed Verizon has online discounts on the Samsung S7, and their basic Phones. Sprint may have  online sales on these items.