Regular Contributor

Buy your own modem from Amazon (or an electronics store) and install it yourself.  Stop paying Xfinity for this service.  I am sure that you can do this.  All of you on this board are quite capable of doing this.  It is a very simple thing to do.  I'm happy to pass along details on what to do if anyone is interested.

Trusted Contributor

I just installed the Xfinity X-1 Platform for cable TV.  I don't think it's brand new but it's really nice.  It was an upgrade for no additional cost.  Xfinity called me last week and wanted to know if I was interested in this offer.  You might want to answer your phone, it could just be an upgrade of your existing equipment.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I ordered and received my new modem from Xfinity about a year ago.  It was easy to install myself.

i wish I still had my old unit.  The new one is a router and modem all in one.  It is slower tham my old modem and the router that I had purchased myself  a few years before.  And the  thing that really ticked me off is the fact that my home is now a hot spot for everyone who has an Xfinity subscription.

I complained to Xfinity. But it was of no use.    If you have an xfinity subscription and need to find a hot spot just drive into a residential area.  Everyone who has xfinity in their home will share their service with you if they have the new modem.

You can disable your wireless hotspot http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot/

Esteemed Contributor

@Himi lover wrote:

I just installed the Xfinity X-1 Platform for cable TV.  I don't think it's brand new but it's really nice.  It was an upgrade for no additional cost.  Xfinity called me last week and wanted to know if I was interested in this offer.  You might want to answer your phone, it could just be an upgrade of your existing equipment.

This is the latest cable TV platform. Enjoy!!

Esteemed Contributor

Time Warner Cable sent me a new modem ... they said it was so easy to install ... well, I tried and I just could not do it .... the instruction booklet is written in super small font and even though I don't need reading glasses I can't read it .... I have the new modem for over 6 months now jut sitting in the box that it came in .... I will have to surrender and call Time Warner and pay for the installation.

Esteemed Contributor

@JanetsGirl wrote:

Buy your own modem from Amazon (or an electronics store) and install it yourself.  Stop paying Xfinity for this service.  I am sure that you can do this.  All of you on this board are quite capable of doing this.  It is a very simple thing to do.  I'm happy to pass along details on what to do if anyone is interested.

You just can not run to Amazon and buy a cable modem. You have to know what is the best product for your service level.

When I am replacing my cable modem I check DSL Reports for the best product.  http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast . Post to the HSI forum.

Esteemed Contributor

@January121 wrote:

Time Warner Cable sent me a new modem ... they said it was so easy to install ... well, I tried and I just could not do it .... the instruction booklet is written in super small font and even though I don't need reading glasses I can't read it .... I have the new modem for over 6 months now jut sitting in the box that it came in .... I will have to surrender and call Time Warner and pay for the installation.

Here is an online install guide you can make larger.https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/internet/buy-or-lease-your-mode...

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for the information.  Xfinity told me there was nothing I could do about it.  

I will try to disable it tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

No matter which modem you buy and use, you need to contact Comcast and have them verify it's your modem at your house for it to work.  When I changed my modem, I had to provide the serial number and MAC address, both are listed on the unit, to register it with the company.  They then ping the modem and you'll be set. 

Regular Contributor

If you're renting their modem/router, yes, your equipment is now a hotspot for your neighbors. The only way to disable the hotspot is disablilng wifi. Every time the hot spot is disabled, it is enabled as soon as you use wireless (phone, tablet, etc.)

I had their equipment for 6 months and after too-numerous-to-count attempts at having them disable my hotspot without disabling my wifi altogether, I returned their equipment, canceled the triple play and now am back to my old modem and router. No more hot spots for my neighbors in my condo complex.