Respected Contributor

Re: Windows 8 versus windows 7 , need help

I don't understand why those who don't like Windows 8 don't download and install ""Classic Shell"". It's free and makes your computer run like previous versions of Windows.

Esteemed Contributor

Windows 7 is now 5 years. You need to look forward into new programs. Window 10 is coming maybe Fall 2015. It will look and feel much like Windows 8.1.

Honored Contributor

I hated and struggled with Windows 8 and 8.1 for nearly a year. Then I finally gave up, gave the laptop to my granddaughters and bought a new desktop directly from Dell with Windows 7 on it, and all the other upgrades like IE7, 8 mgs RAM, and a 1 TB hard drive. I have been happy as a clam ever since, and will never upgrade again. It's not like I will have years and years to use it.

My granddaughters, by the way, love the laptop and just whiz through 8 and 8.1. I guess because the OS is more like their iPads or whatever it is they have.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 nutmeg3 said:

Windows 7 is now 5 years. You need to look forward into new programs. Window 10 is coming maybe Fall 2015. It will look and feel much like Windows 8.1.

Sorry, but ugh! When I bought the new desktop from Dell (about six months ago) they told me Win 7 will be supported for ten more years. I don't expect to be using a computer when I am 87, I don't even expect to be here, LOL!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/6/2015 Ford1224 said:

Sorry, but ugh! When I bought the new desktop from Dell (about six months ago) they told me Win 7 will be supported for ten more years. I don't expect to be using a computer when I am 87, I don't even expect to be here, LOL!!

Ford, Window 7 will have support until 2020.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle#gp/gp_msl_policy

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle#

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 Ford1224 said:

Ford, Window 7 will have support until 2020.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle#gp/gp_msl_policy

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle#

If I'm still here and able to use the computer in 2020, I still won't upgrade to anything that resembles 8 or 8.1, or 10 either if that is going to be just like the 8s. I know 7 like the back of my hand . . . why would I change at that age?! I'll leave that to you younger folks.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I searched for this topic and these posts came up.
DH just purchased an Asus laptop and separate CD drive.
The Windows 8 looks like Greek to me, but the "Shell" program sounds good.
Right now, we cannot even get the separate CD drive installed! He was told by Best Buy that computers are no longer made with internal CD drives.
We are feeling so computer illiterate right now! Arg! Any guidance is appreciated.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

lovestoteach wrote:
Right now, we cannot even get the separate CD drive installed! He was told by Best Buy that computers are no longer made with internal CD drives.
We are feeling so computer illiterate right now! Arg! Any guidance is appreciated.

As for the drive - it should have a DVD drive or a Blu-ray drive.  You can use that for CDs (it doesn't go the other way, however).  

As for the 'classic shell' thing, I have found that to be invaluable.  Just go to classicshell.net and install it.   You can bypass that silly tile screen altogether and it will look just like before.  There are options within the program so that you can choose exactly how you want things to look

ETA - While I was at it, though, I uninstalled and disabled a whole bunch of those stupid tile things just to clear space and speed up my computer.  They load a bunch of stuff that you likely don't even use.

I won't purchase a computer from Best Buy anymore because the last one  I got had problems because Best Buy adds a bunch of their software into the computer and it came to a point where it would no longer take Windows updates.  Smiley Sad  I was bummed.  My other one, however, a Lenovo, is still going strong after 4 years.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

The  CD drive should install itself when connected to the web. You have to connect the drive to a USB port, and then turn the lapto on. Windows will find the CD drive and iinstall the right driver.

Did you make a recover disk for this computer?