Honored Contributor

We currently have Windows 7 on our laptop.  Is there a way to transfer those files onto a computer that has Windows 10??  Thanks for any help/info you can provide.

Honored Contributor

Yes, there are several ways to transfer documents, photos, music, and other files. For actual programs, you will need to reinstall those individually.

You can buy software to make the transfer for you, use the cloud, use an external hard drive, etc. I would do a Google search for moving files to a new computer Windows 10 or something similar to get more information and choose the method you think will work best for you.

Trusted Contributor

Speaking of Windows 10.  A window used to come up on my computer because I had Windows 7 asking if I wanted the 10 and I would always it no.  Well my computer was acting up today and I rebooted.  Automatically there was a sign saying Microsoft was updating my computer and when it was done Windows 10 was installed.  Can they do this without me?  I know I did not press the ok.  Am I going crazy?

Jessa
Respected Contributor

It was probably in a set of updates and installed was installed during your last update. For that reason, I stopped doing updates automatically.  I review the list of what's going to be installed and deselect anything that concerns Win 10.  I'm happy with Win 8.1 and have no need to upgrade.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you nomless.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

@jessa wrote:

Speaking of Windows 10.  A window used to come up on my computer because I had Windows 7 asking if I wanted the 10 and I would always it no.  Well my computer was acting up today and I rebooted.  Automatically there was a sign saying Microsoft was updating my computer and when it was done Windows 10 was installed.  Can they do this without me?  I know I did not press the ok.  Am I going crazy?

It depends on your update settings in Control Panel.  I have changed mine to it asking my permission to install any downloaded updates.  It's working fine for me in that mode.  

I recently learned that if you want to uninstall Windows 10, you only have 30 days to do it.

Esteemed Contributor

Installed it and uninstalled within minutes (almost).  The 10 disabled my Internet Connection and my screeen said I was in  AIRPLANE MODE.  And we are talking about a desktop PC.  I am too scared to try it a second time.  

Respected Contributor

@jessa wrote:

@A little more info for you, @jessa :  as I understand it, the Win 10 update is not supposed to be included in the set of recommended updates, but every once in a while it sneaks in. That happened to me, and I was getting "ready to install" messages, which I declined.  It was then that I googled and found out how to uninstall the install package and learned that I'd better review the updates that are scheduled to run before doing so.  So no auto update for me any more.  I'm sorry it installed on your system without your knowledge. I'm unhappy that Microsoft is pushing it so hard and making the user take steps to avoid the Win 10 update.  

Trusted Contributor

Nomless I am scared to do anything to try to uninstall since I am not computer savvy.  I will just keep it like it is.  It has been working okay.  Thank you so much for all your help.  I will keep my fingers crossed. 

Jessa