Super Contributor

Re: Windows 10 you PAY to use YOUR dvd player?!?

[ Edited ]

I have the TSV from 2014 during the "Better Than Black Friday" sale. The computer was going to automatically update on it's on in the coming weeks before I just went ahead a did it myself (it came with 8, I had updated to 8.1 late spring 2015, I liked it so much better than 10)

This was just another thing to make me want to get a Mac next time.

First, the constant pop-ups for me to update to 10. Then, after having the laptop about a year, a received a pop up and an email from HP telling me that this laptop was being discontinued in a few weeks and will no longer be under warranty. To make me want to say with HP they generously Smiley Frustrated offered me a 15% discount an a computer bought on their site to use in a month after getting the email.

I could've easily bought a cheaper HP computer from Wal-Mart for $400 that comes with a dvd player...bought one for my 10 yo niece. But instead I bought a nearly $700 computer on sale that retailed into the thousands, because I thought it would be better for every day use, and use including a burner / player. But, now, I have a basic computer without a burner or player unless paying again for the software.

This is the one I bought. This is the TSV presentation starting at where they talk about the driver... https://youtu.be/AYGbGqvvpbM?t=24m50s

I hope with the update....wasn't that the catch for Windows 10, that it would be the last update?...that they bring back a player option for free, even if only offering the deal for a limited time. But, I doubt that'll happen even with the thousands of people who feel duped complaining, like myself, about it.

I'm an idiot when it comes to technology. I'll be the first to admit that. So, I'm sure I'm missing something. After playing with the settings, and finding nothing, I went online to find what I was doing wrong. That's when I came across that article. I just wanted to let other know about it to have a heads up in case they decided to update to 10 now.

I'm going to play again now to see if I missed something.

Respected Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

Idiot uninstalled the Cyberlink & then showed me it is not compatable. Of course not - it is no longer installed!

Go to the website for your computer, service and support and download another copy of Cyberlink.  You may be able to do it from the computer itself.  I had a Dell 8.0 computer and under recovery in programs there was an option to reinstall factory installed software. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

Idiot uninstalled the Cyberlink & then showed me it is not compatable. Of course not - it is no longer installed!

Go to the website for your computer, service and support and download another copy of Cyberlink.  You may be able to do it from the computer itself.  I had a Dell 8.0 computer and under recovery in programs there was an option to reinstall factory installed software. 

Thank you! I will check that out at the Dell site. 

Honored Contributor

Was on the phone talking to a relative a little bit ago when unexpected activity on my laptop's screen caught my eye (laptop was on desk to the side of my chair)... The screen announced it was upgrading to 10!!! Yes. AGAIN. What part of no, switching back, do they not get???

Honored Contributor

It sounds like, among other things (like getting rid of that Win10 stuff by using the program mentioned in a couple of threads here), you need to change your Windows Update settings so that it lets you know what updates are available BUT doesn't install them.  It lets YOU choose what and when to install.   

I understand that you seem to be reticent to take any of the advice here, but I would ask somebody else who knows more techy stuff to verify what is a good idea and what isn't.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

A couple of days ago, I read anyone with a windows computer will be updated to Windows 10, whether they want 10 or not. Cortana, Edge and whatever else they have will be downloaded to ALL 7,Vista,8, etc,etc.  We won't have a say.  It will be Windows or Apple, the end.

We are seriously thinking of getting rid of the computer totally.  Our screen is about one quarter  of the real screen size, because it has so much ****** on it.  We lost games we have played for years, all because of Win10.  Email has gone gone wonky, click out of a page we are on and it goes back to the start page. Can't find control panel, or any of the things we could before.--------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@raleighroo wrote:

And just one more of the many valid reasons I've seen for NOT going to Windows 10.  They keep throwing that notification mess up on my screen and I hit X immediately.

I will happily keep my Windows 7.

Raleigh - there is a thread in this same forum about a software (free) that you can install to stop the Win10 solications and updates.  It's very small and unintrusive, but it gets rid of it effectively.  I'd check it out.   Some people have said that Win10 just started installing itself without even permission, so I'd be afraid of that kind of thing.

I always keep my Windows Updates on 'check for updates but let me know so that I can install them myself' (not verbatim but that's close enough for the meaning).    IMO, this is an important thing.    I've had, in the WAY past, Win UPdates go on their own and corrupt other stuff because too many things were updating.  It's probably more efficient now, but I would not assume anything.  Smiley Wink

My dad & 2 sisters said Win 10 installed itself on their computers. It has not done that with any of ours. Dad's hard drive failed so he bought a new computer that already has 10 on it. He asked DH if he could put 7 on it. LOL!!! 

DH installed 10 on a laptop that had 8.1 & he likes it. He just installed it on our other laptop that had 7 on it this weekend. He said he was going to install it on the desktop  this week or weekend. He has not had any problems. He made it look as much like 7 as he could. He's using IE11 not Edge. He also installs the updates he wants instead of letting it automatically install them. 

Honored Contributor

Ted - I've heard this before, but I don't see how they can force an OS upgrade on everybody.    Plus, they are supporting Win7 and Win8.1 with security updates until 2020 and 2023, respectively.  I can't see why they would be continuing support for both operating systems if they are completely getting rid of them.

I'd just get that stuff off of there and there is no way an upgrade can be forced - well, unless one wants the upgrade of course.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

So you expect Microsoft to develop an app, support it, update it, and give it to you for free?  Interesting.

You can always use another app, but if you wish to use the one from Microsoft, pay for it.

This has nothing to do with greed.  It is business.

I thought OP updated from 7 to 10 & the dvd player no longer worked & had to $15 for the app so it would work. The dvd player should still work when you upgrade. You should not have to buy an app for $15 to continue using your dvd player. 

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

So you expect Microsoft to develop an app, support it, update it, and give it to you for free?  Interesting.

You can always use another app, but if you wish to use the one from Microsoft, pay for it.

This has nothing to do with greed.  It is business.

I thought OP updated from 7 to 10 & the dvd player no longer worked & had to $15 for the app so it would work. The dvd player should still work when you upgrade. You should not have to buy an app for $15 to continue using your dvd player. 

If you have a DVD player factory installed, you had a program besides Windows Media Player to run it.  Had you look at your programs/apps, you could have saved yourself $15.