Esteemed Contributor

Re: Windows 10 you PAY to use YOUR dvd player?!?

@truffle wrote:

I just upgraded to Windows 10 today because I don't want to pay for it this summer.  I think it's a bum deal that they will stop supporting windows 8.1 with security updates.  My laptop didn't come with a dvd player but I was planning on buying a plugin from amazon they are not that expensive, so I will see if I'm required to "pay"  when I use it.

I am noticing that my startup time is slower with Windows 10 and I hate that each time I start it up I have to click no I'm not interested to Cortana.

It's also much slower when I have to refresh the page. 

Windows 8 will no longer get security updates, not windows 8.1

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I just upgraded to Windows 10 today because I don't want to pay for it this summer.  I think it's a bum deal that they will stop supporting windows 8.1 with security updates.  My laptop didn't come with a dvd player but I was planning on buying a plugin from amazon they are not that expensive, so I will see if I'm required to "pay"  when I use it.

I am noticing that my startup time is slower with Windows 10 and I hate that each time I start it up I have to click no I'm not interested to Cortana.

It's also much slower when I have to refresh the page. 

Windows 8 will no longer get security updates, not windows 8.1

Why didn't you simply update to Windows 8.1?    

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Trusted Contributor

So you expect Microsoft to develop an app, support it, update it, and give it to you for free?  Interesting.

You can always use another app, but if you wish to use the one from Microsoft, pay for it.

This has nothing to do with greed.  It is business.

Honored Contributor

I think it's just been surprising to people encountering this because the hardware (the disc player) has ALWAYS come with the software built in to the computer.   When you purchase the computer WITH a dvd/bluray player, it has been a given that the software to operate it is a part of the deal.

This is particularly the case when the people have followed their aggressive push and upgraded the operating system.    They already paid to be able to use the disc player but now it's inoperable unless they pay more to use it.

To put a player in the computer but not the software needed to operate it is a little sneaky and disreputable.  It would be like charging extra for some 'app', or software as it used to be called, to be able to use the USB ports, electrical cord, etc.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Day 2 with Windows 10.  I am more comforable using it.  Startup time is now the same as it was using my Win 8.1.  Five updates to Win 10 brought me up-to-date last night.  In July one of the changes during the anniversary update will be adding extensions to Microsoft Edge.  Will be looking forward to that! 

Respected Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

So you expect Microsoft to develop an app, support it, update it, and give it to you for free?  Interesting.

You can always use another app, but if you wish to use the one from Microsoft, pay for it.

This has nothing to do with greed.  It is business.

It's been my experience computers with optical drives do come with software to run them. That includes a player and a burner program.  Just because Windows Media player isn't installed doesn't mean there isn't a different program to use.  The original poster needs to go through her programs/apps and see what is installed. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have a Dell or HP with a disc player, then it came with software to play DVDs. Both my Dell and HP have CyberLink Media Suite with Power DVD.  Yours should have that or something similar. It doesn't go away with Windows 10. Look in your app menu. There might even be an icon on the taskbar.

These pictures are from my HP. CyberLink is under M, in the Music, Photos and Video folder. In my Dell, it's under C for CyberLink.

a cl2.jpg 

a cl3.JPG

Honored Contributor

Sooo... My DVDs stopped working. Was about to switch back to 8 and instead contacted support by chat. They have been messing up my computer for hours now. 

Next computer is going to be a Mac. No discussion. Microsoft is just beyond evil.

Honored Contributor

Idiot uninstalled the Cyberlink & then showed me it is not compatable. Of course not - it is no longer installed!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in the process of switching back to Windows 8.1 - which I really did not like but at least the DVDs worked. 

This is laptop is only a year old but getting a Mac has taken a huge step up on my shopping list.

The Microsoft tech person disconnected with me rather than continue attempting to help me.