Respected Contributor

Re: Windows 10 you PAY to use YOUR dvd player?!?

I bought a new pc about three months ago. It came with Windows 10. I put in a Star Wars dvd and it played great. I did not have to buy an app.

Honored Contributor

Deeva wrote:

I bought a new pc about three months ago. It came with Windows 10. I put in a Star Wars dvd and it played great. I did not have to buy an app.

Thanks, Deeva!  Good to know.  Smiley Happy

I'd be willing to bet that about 99.99999% of people who upgraded their OS with Win10 had no idea that it would render their player inoperable, unless they pay money for a fix.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

My laptop came with 8 & a free upgrade to 10. I recently allowed the upgrade to go through and, a few days ago, I picked up Season 3 of Scandal to watch from the library. I watched the first 2 seasons using Windows 8.

When I saw this thread I hurried to see if I'd be asked to buy an app but I wasn't. I got a popup asking me what I wanted to do, options suggested were to play the DVD, to get an app, or to do nothing. I just selected play it & it started right up.

I'd have been upset if it tried to get my money when I'd already paid extra for a laptop that could play DVDs.

Honored Contributor

i have power dvd 12 pre-installed on my computer. i upgraded to windows 10 about 5 months ago. i did not have to buy any app to continue to watch my dvds. everything still plays as it did when i had windows 8.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i have power dvd 12 pre-installed on my computer. i upgraded to windows 10 about 5 months ago. i did not have to buy any app to continue to watch my dvds. everything still plays as it did when i had windows 8.

That appears to be my situation, too. 

Honored Contributor

Oh wow!  The different experiences people are having are really interesting.   Maybe some manufaturers have different programs for media that work with Win10 and some don't (?).

I know that my Toshiba computers usually have some sort of Toshiba software for playing discs, so it doesn't engage the Windows Media Player.  That's the only difference I can imagine.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just upgraded to Windows 10 today because I don't want to pay for it this summer.  I think it's a bum deal that they will stop supporting windows 8.1 with security updates.  My laptop didn't come with a dvd player but I was planning on buying a plugin from amazon they are not that expensive, so I will see if I'm required to "pay"  when I use it.

I am noticing that my startup time is slower with Windows 10 and I hate that each time I start it up I have to click no I'm not interested to Cortana.

It's also much slower when I have to refresh the page. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As long as you go from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, OR you can choose to upgrade to Windows 10, you will continue to get security updates.  It's just the plain Windows 8, that came out initially, that is being precluded.

Security updates for Windows 8.1 will continue until  January 10, 2023.  This is according to Microsoft.  HTH Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

That used to be the norm for Windows, but it's sad to see they're going back to that.

Respected Contributor

I'm going to give Win 10 a few more days.  In July there will be a big update for its anniversary. 

According to Kim Komando there will be an overhaul to Win 10 at that time.  Should be interesting..

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/356154/windows-10-is-getting-an-overhaul-heres-what-it-looks-li...