Valued Contributor

Re: Windows 10 on New Computer

Thank you all so much for the good ideas and encouragement!  Videos don't work on my computer right now, so I will have to wait on trying that route.  I know so little about computers that when they change terms, etc. on me, I get pretty lost.

Honored Contributor

@Anniecamp wrote:

Thank you all so much for the good ideas and encouragement!  Videos don't work on my computer right now, so I will have to wait on trying that route.  I know so little about computers that when they change terms, etc. on me, I get pretty lost.

You might want to think about getting a Windows 10 How-To type book. There should be a few to choose from at this point, either online or in B&N. I have had the Windows 10 for Dummies book since it came out, knowing I would get a new computer within a few months. So when I brought my new laptop home on Sunday, I had a ready reference if I got stuck. The Dummies books walk you logically through everything. I've used them for years.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Anniecamp wrote:

You might want to think about getting a Windows 10 How-To type book. There should be a few to choose from at this point, either online or in B&N. I have had the Windows 10 for Dummies book since it came out, knowing I would get a new computer within a few months. So when I brought my new laptop home on Sunday, I had a ready reference if I got stuck. The Dummies books walk you logically through everything. I've used them for years.

Yes, I agree with you. This is a good suggestion, and what I would have suggested next. You might even find one of these types of books at your local library, too.

I like the "Dummies" series of books. They are fun and funny to read, and make something that can be tedious, rather fun to learn. Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I really wish Microsoft would stop reinventing themselves and take that time to fix the glitches and bugs on some of there older software. I too feel bad for anybody who brought a computer or other device with windows 10.. The reviews are not very good and I was very surprised that a computer loaded with the new technology would not work correctly.Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I'd like to see Microsoft go back to a smaller, simpler operating system. My original computer came with MS-DOS, then was upgraded to Windows 95 and that computer only had a 1.2 gigabyte hard drive. A new install of the 64 bit version of Windows 10 requires 20 gigabytes of space.

Computer hardware has gotten faster, memory is faster, so our computing should be faster, but it's not due to the bloated OS. Pare down the OS and keep it minimal. A minimal OS should be easier to upgrade, safeguard, and would take advantage of the speed of modern computer components. When you look at the improvements in computer hardware, you'd assume computers would work like lightning by now. Instead they still putter along at about the same pace as before.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I gave my laptop to my son to take home to look at it.  If he figures it out, maybe he can help me.  He hasn't had a chance to look at it yet.  The book for "dummies" sounds good.  Sounds like that book takes things step by step, which is what I'd need.  I do get tired of them improving things just to "improve them".  Translation:  To make things obsolete to sell us more stuff!

Honored Contributor

Yeah, those '...For Dummies' books are very good.   You couldn't get better broken down explanations of stuff.  I've had a few of them in the past and was never disappointed.

Unfortunately, that's the ticket - to sell more stuff.  They don't care if some of us want to have a computer last 5+ years.  The goal is to sell as much stuff as possible so they try to make everything obsolete quickly.

Since I started using only laptops, my computers last a good long time.  I didn't have that kind of luck with desktops, which is why I stopped buying desktops.  YMMV, of course.  Smiley Happy