Respected Contributor

Who's got a TIVO??

[ Edited ]

I recently dropped Dish because of many outages and constant channel dropping because of negotiations......I went back to my cable company.......I got a bundle deal and the DVR is a TIVO......my question is.............how do I get the TIVO to stop recording shows that "it" thinks I will like...........I have to go in every day and delete these things.  I don't want their suggestions...........I know how to record what I want to watch later.....it's annoying..

Honored Contributor

In Tivo Central, go to Settings & Messages, then User Preferences and then for Tivo Suggestions set it to "no."  I think you'll love your  Tivo!  I have two of them and think they are so much better than the regular cable company DVR.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

In Tivo Central, go to Settings & Messages, then User Preferences and then for Tivo Suggestions set it to "no."  I think you'll love your  Tivo!  I have two of them and think they are so much better than the regular cable company DVR.

Thanks so much.......they didn't give me a manual for this thing and I'll admit that I've been a little lazy about going on-line to find the answer.....

.I appreciate your response!!   hg

Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

I recently dropped Dish because of many outages and constant channel dropping because of negotiations......I went back to my cable company.......I got a bundle deal and the DVR is a TIVO......my question is.............how do I get the TIVO to stop recording shows that "it" thinks I will like...........I have to go in every day and delete these things.  I don't want their suggestions...........I know how to record what I want to watch later.....it's annoying..

The best thing about the Tivo Suggestions is that you don't have to go in and delete them. The Tivo only records suggestions when there is room for them, so it records a LOT when you have a lot of room and aren't recording much yourself. But the Suggestions do not count against the recording space percentage, do not override anything you want to record yourself, and delete on their own to make room for things you tell Tivo to record. If they get in your way in other folders, you can turn it off or delete them, but most of them stay in the Suggestions folder and don't bother me. For me, I've found that Tivo Suggestions has recorded a lot of things I love but did not know were on, so it's been fantastic for me. Once it even saved me when my season pass (called One something now) didn't record a new episode of a show I love because the cable guide did not mark is as a New episode. Tivo Suggestions recorded it for me anyway. Evening saved.

You can also improve your Tivo Suggestions by using the red and green thumbs up/down buttons. If there are shows you don't like, vote with the thumbs down button and Tivo Suggestions won't record those things. You can give things 1-3 votes each, which helps Tivo Suggestions find better things for you.

Honored Contributor

I also have Tivos and wouldn't want to be without them.

I also turned off all the suggestions and stuff like that.  I prefer to choose what I want recorded.

I hope you love it.   As Nick said - Tivo is WAY better than cable or satellite generic DVRs.      I don't know what model is issued the way you got yours, but different models do different things.  Weird that it wouldn't come without a manual.  When I've purchased Tivos from the Tivo website over the last 13 years, they always come with a nice book.

But at least you have people here to help! Smiley Happy   Many of us have had Tivos for many years so we can help.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I also have Tivos and wouldn't want to be without them.

I also turned off all the suggestions and stuff like that.  I prefer to choose what I want recorded.

I hope you love it.   As Nick said - Tivo is WAY better than cable or satellite generic DVRs.      I don't know what model is issued the way you got yours, but different models do different things.  Weird that it wouldn't come without a manual.  When I've purchased Tivos from the Tivo website over the last 13 years, they always come with a nice book.

But at least you have people here to help! Smiley Happy   Many of us have had Tivos for many years so we can help.

I do like my TIVO.....the front of the box says EXTREME and I have a mini in my bedroom......my cable is through Mediacom. 

Honored Contributor

I guess that model is specific to Mediacom.    I Googled it and found that there is a service guide - 

Tivo Extreme

It's the third one down.  It's a PDF that you can load and save.  

HTH  Smiley Happy