Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's The Difference Between The New iPad & One 3 Years Old?

@Noel7@dooBdoo@World Traveler, if I were going to do the pro, I would pick the smaller one.  I can't imagine wanting that great big one to lug around.  I saw the Pro at the Apple Store.  When the time comesfor a new one, I will compare the two vis a vis changes in technology.  Unless there is a big difference, I will go for the Air I think.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Noel7, et al, I had a look at the iPad Pro.  I now have iPad 3 and will be looking for an upgrade soon too.  I am not sure I need the iPad Pro though.  I also didn't think I would use the pencil.  

I will be following the thread to see what other posters say.  I am thinking I will go with the latest iPad Air.  I will probably replace in the fall or at Christmas.  LM

PS, very nice Mother's Day gift!!!👏😊

@Lilysmom

Hi Lilysmom Smiley Happy

I think my daughter said the Pro has newer technology than the Air, but hopefully people here will set us straight, lol.

There are two sizes for the Pro, I don't think I need the larger.  I kind of like the pencil, I told her to tell her dad to pop for that Smiley Happy 

Also, have dad "pop" for.....

AppleCare

iPad - AppleCare Plus - Apple

Maxing out the RAM

Larger HD storage

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

What a nice gift.  With that being said, I can't help but wonder why other posters who stated their devices, iPads included, are running slow don't do a recovery/restore/reset?  You have nothing to lose and may save you money by not needing a new device.  It doesn't matter what type of device, computer, tablet, smart phone, they all get bogged down with time and use.  There is plenty of information on how to proceed online doing a Google search. 

Honored Contributor

I have the old one and still love it (except.....I managed to wipe the thing entirely clear....yepper, just like the government did).  My son-in-law is getting it all back.

Anyway, they recently gave me a new one (the latest one).  It's wing-ding and it's OK.

The main difference I notice is that the pictures on the screen are way, way better.  The color is beautiful and clear.  The print is very clear.

If you have a chance to get a new one, by all means, get one.  I think you'll notice the difference too.  Hang on to your old one though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613 wrote:

What a nice gift.  With that being said, I can't help but wonder why other posters who stated their devices, iPads included, are running slow don't do a recovery/restore/reset?  You have nothing to lose and may save you money by not needing a new device.  It doesn't matter what type of device, computer, tablet, smart phone, they all get bogged down with time and use.  There is plenty of information on how to proceed online doing a Google search. 

@glb613,  I think the likely reason my 2012 iPad 3 -- which I literally (yes, literally Smiley Happy ) use every day -- still works almost like new is because I frequently backup/reset (erase)/restore.   Even syncing regularly can clear up a myriad of issues.   Nevertheless, there are other reasons people want a newer device, so I can understand that.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Hi @dooBdoo  Smiley Happy

DD says she thinks I have the iPad two, she has the same one and wants to upgrade for herself, also.  I think she should get the iPad Pro larger one, she does a lot with art.  But... maybe it's too big to fit in her handbags, I dunno.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Noel7 I see you edited your original post to include the new iPad Pro. As others have said, it is more expensive. It has the pencil and the split screen.

It comes down to what you want to do with the iPad. I don't need the pencil or the split screen, and I didn't want a larger screen.

I wanted something with faster speed and lightweight. The Pro is heavier than the Mini 2 I got.

When I travel I just want to read, send emails, download photos, etc. So the Mini is right for me. Plus, when I looked at the iPad Pro at the Apple store, it seemed more like my laptop.

Once you determine what your needs/wants are, it is easier to decide which model to get.

Good luck!

@World Traveler

I think it was the guy who did the online review linked to earlier who said the larger Pro almost seemed like a laptop to him, also.

I'm leaning toward the smaller of the two Pros, which seems to be about the same size as the iPad I have now.  I use mine mostly in the house, I did use it in the hospital awhile back... it kept me sane there, lol.  I think the pencil will be helpful.  I broke the little finger on my dominant hand and have a hard time getting texting correct sometimes.

I have an iPhone use when out and about. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Noel7, et al, I had a look at the iPad Pro.  I now have iPad 3 and will be looking for an upgrade soon too.  I am not sure I need the iPad Pro though.  I also didn't think I would use the pencil.  

I will be following the thread to see what other posters say.  I am thinking I will go with the latest iPad Air.  I will probably replace in the fall or at Christmas.  LM

PS, very nice Mother's Day gift!!!👏😊

@Lilysmom

Hi Lilysmom Smiley Happy

I think my daughter said the Pro has newer technology than the Air, but hopefully people here will set us straight, lol.

There are two sizes for the Pro, I don't think I need the larger.  I kind of like the pencil, I told her to tell her dad to pop for that Smiley Happy 

Also, have dad "pop" for.....

AppleCare

iPad - AppleCare Plus - Apple

Maxing out the RAM

Larger HD storage

Oh, yeah!  I am right there with you @Mz iMac

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I'll ask her, @glb613

I'm pretty sure the answer is that she has it in her head that's what she wants to give me for Mother's Day.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I have the old one and still love it (except.....I managed to wipe the thing entirely clear....yepper, just like the government did).  My son-in-law is getting it all back.

Anyway, they recently gave me a new one (the latest one).  It's wing-ding and it's OK.

The main difference I notice is that the pictures on the screen are way, way better.  The color is beautiful and clear.  The print is very clear.

If you have a chance to get a new one, by all means, get one.  I think you'll notice the difference too.  Hang on to your old one though.

Thank you @Annabellethecat66

Pictures are very important to me, I am so into Instagram. We have close family in Europe for two years of study.  They have two small children and I absolutely love seeing pix from them on a daily basis.  And of course I follow others, especially from around the world.