Honored Contributor

What's The Difference Between The New iPad & One 3 Years Old?

[ Edited ]

My daughter wants to get me the newest iPad for Mother's Day.  The iPad I have is three years old.

Granted, mine is slow to load and the battery seems to wear out fast.  She tells me the new one is much faster and has a better battery.

The one she wants to get for me is the new iPad Pro.

What do people here think?  And are there other differences making the new model better?

Thank you for reading,

Noel

Honored Contributor

Re: What's The Difference Between The New iPad & One 3 Years Old?

Lighter in weight, faster speed in accessing online, just to name a couple. Depends upon which model you get. If you go in an Apple store, taking your old one with you, you will see such a difference in weight. Plus, the quality of the screen is better; it's retina. Think high definition as a comparison.

My original one was the second iteration of the iPad, so it is heavier. Just purchased the Mini 2, which is .6 ounces. Makes a big difference to me when I'm traveling and want to keep the weight of the things I bring along down to the lightest possible.

Respected Contributor

The Ipad Pro is the newest.  Its much faster than others, but very expensive.  I bought the Ipad Air 2..its great.  I had the Ipad 1 and it didnt charge anymore, so I knew it was time for a new one

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler and @meem120

Thank you both for responding.

I didn't realize there are different models of the iPad Pro, I'll do some checking around to see what's what with that.

World Traveler, I appreciate your comments. I'm beginning to get sold on the idea.

Lizzy, it might be time for a change for mine, also.  It is running pretty slow and it's not picking up well when I go into the back bedroom, it used to be OK there, too.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

http://www.cnet.com/products/apple-ipad-pro/

Enjoy your Mother's Day.

@Nuttmeg

Thank you so much for the link!  Checking it now...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7, et al, I had a look at the iPad Pro.  I now have iPad 3 and will be looking for an upgrade soon too.  I am not sure I need the iPad Pro though.  I also didn't think I would use the pencil.  

I will be following the thread to see what other posters say.  I am thinking I will go with the latest iPad Air.  I will probably replace in the fall or at Christmas.  LM

PS, very nice Mother's Day gift!!!👏😊

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Noel7, et al, I had a look at the iPad Pro.  I now have iPad 3 and will be looking for an upgrade soon too.  I am not sure I need the iPad Pro though.  I also didn't think I would use the pencil.  

I will be following the thread to see what other posters say.  I am thinking I will go with the latest iPad Air.  I will probably replace in the fall or at Christmas.  LM

PS, very nice Mother's Day gift!!!👏😊

@Lilysmom

Hi Lilysmom Smiley Happy

I think my daughter said the Pro has newer technology than the Air, but hopefully people here will set us straight, lol.

There are two sizes for the Pro, I don't think I need the larger.  I kind of like the pencil, I told her to tell her dad to pop for that Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

Hi, @Noel7!  Great thread, and how thoughtful of your daughter to want to give this lovely gift.    I haven't done comparisons...  I'm afraid I might be too tempted to upgrade from my iPad 3!Smiley    One thing I'd recommend, after looking at online features and comparisons, would be to take a look at the devices in an Apple store or any other store offering a wide variety of the newest products.   Unless certain features already stand out and make the decision, I think seeing and feeling the device is helpful.

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose, and an early "Happy Mother's Day" to you and to all who celebrate.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 I see you edited your original post to include the new iPad Pro. As others have said, it is more expensive. It has the pencil and the split screen.

It comes down to what you want to do with the iPad. I don't need the pencil or the split screen, and I didn't want a larger screen.

I wanted something with faster speed and lightweight. The Pro is heavier than the Mini 2 I got.

When I travel I just want to read, send emails, download photos, etc. So the Mini is right for me. Plus, when I looked at the iPad Pro at the Apple store, it seemed more like my laptop.

Once you determine what your needs/wants are, it is easier to decide which model to get.

Good luck!