Valued Contributor

What does it mean if your unused battery is hot?

Not sure if this is the right forum category to post this question, but here goes. I bought a set of 2 Triplelite flashlights from QVC. After buying, I read a bunch of reviews from last year, I believe, stating that these flashlights drain batteries very quickly. So, I decided to test the included batteries before using to see what kind of results I would get. I got one flashlight out the other day but didn't get into the second one until tonight (it's just been sitting in its shipping box all of this time). Got it out, took the batteries out, and was shocked to discover that one of the AA batteries was hot to the touch. I've never had this happen and can't help but wonder why it would be hot when it's not been used. Would anyone know what this means--problem with the battery itself, problem with the connection in the flashlight, what? If it's the battery, I can just switch, but if it's the light itself, I need to return it. Would really appreciate opinions. Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: What does it mean if your unused battery is hot?

I googled it, here's what I found. 

This occurs when a battery is wrongly inserted in the battery box or there is a deformed terminal. Then there is also the possibility of a short circuit, forced charging and heating up the battery.  Please remove the battery very carefully from the appliance and let it cool down before disposal. Do not reuse this battery after cooling down.

Esteemed Contributor

@MezzieStarr Agree.........wrongly inserted........happened to me.

Valued Contributor

Havent' been able to get back here for a bit, but I wanted to thank both of you for responding. I don't know how this happened--all I can think of is that, maybe, the manufacturer installed the battery the wrong way. Who knows? Anyway, I've put new batteries in and everything seems to be OK.