Trusted Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: WPA2 wireless security cracked

There's nothing that absolutely can't be cracked. If someone's properly motivated and has the necessary computer power behind them, pretty much any code can eventually be broken. You just have to make it as hard as possible for the hackers. Truth be told most individuals have nothing to fear. Unless someone is specifically targeting you, there are so many easy targets out there (totally unprotected networks) that they're more likely to move to an unprotected site rather than deal with the hassles of cracking even the simplest encoding.

It's not unheard of for a close neighbor to hack into a network since they're always there and have some clues as to what passwords you're likely to use. (Child's name, pet's name, birthdays, etc.) In some cases they can simply visit and while you're not looking flip over your router and write down WEP/WPA code that came pre-programmed into the router. Many/most routers have a card on the bottom with that information and most owners don't change the code, so it's pretty easy to hack that information. They don't even have to write it down, just snap a picture of the card using their smartphone. It can be done pretty easily in five seconds or so.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Here's a way to use something that makes it more difficult. Nothing is hack proof. My son-in-law who does cyber security was impressed when I told him what I do.

Here is an example. This is not one I've ever done but an example. CanImakeUsomeT89?

Honored Contributor

I just thought of something else an American Express executive told me when I said that it bothered me that one of the security questions was something like: "Where were your parents born?"

She said you don't have to tell where they were born. She said this is just to give you a hint to help you remember. She said you can say anything. Just remember what you said when asked that question. That way no one could get the code if they know where your parents were born.

Anyway, just wanted to share that one.

Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2014 annabellethecat said:

I just thought of something else an American Express executive told me when I said that it bothered me that one of the security questions was something like: "Where were your parents born?"

She said you don't have to tell where they were born. She said this is just to give you a hint to help you remember. She said you can say anything. Just remember what you said when asked that question. That way no one could get the code if they know where your parents were born.

Anyway, just wanted to share that one.

Agreed. Some of the security questions are absurdly easy to find answers to. What was your high school mascot? What city were you born in? Mother's maiden name? What is your pet's name? Many of those are so easy to get that they're relatively useless as security questions. It is smarter to answer those questions in an unexpected way. If you answer the question that's asked as expected, you make it too easy for the hackers.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

When I answer my security questions I always answer them with say answer to what city were you born in I will make the answer something not in (name an obscure city nowhere near you). I never make the answer the correct one.