Super Contributor

Verizon Wireless Phishing Scam (Text)

Just a heads up for you if you are a Verizon Wireless customer. I received a text message sent to my cell phone today. It came across as a "free text message", and looked like some of the other Verizon Wireless alert text messages I've received in the past.

However, it said "for my security, my online account has been locked. Click on the following link to sign in". The link had a VZN Wireless address, and some other letters after that. It wasn't the standard verizonwireless.com type of address. Do not click the link and give your login information.

Before I clicked the link, I called Verizon Wireless to see if this was legit. They said it is not, and is a scam. They would never send any message, either by text or email, to ask for my login information. This is someone looking for your account information, and would take over your account and charge up hundreds of dollars of overseas calls and other charges.

Here is a link to the online forum at Verizon, where it appears others have received this same type of message in the past, but via email.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/814261

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Verizon Wireless Phishing Scam (Text)

Thank you very much this information. VZN Wireless could let their customers know about this.

Super Contributor

You are welcome. I just didn't want anyone to fall for this. Got to be really careful about clicking on any links everywhere. Thieves are very smart. They should spend as much time thinking of way to do good in the world, like curing cancer.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi, Lynnj! Thanks for posting this warning. I always appreciate your posts -- I've learned so much from the information you share.

I wanted to add: They're also making robocalls in attempt to gain access to personal and possibly financial information.

They're calling from 800-922-5534 (this is the current number, but they change their called ID once it's discovered and reported).

The recorded message asks you to login to a website to claim a $74 credit (in the past the dollar amount has varied). They direct you to a website (74verizon.com -- WARNING, DO NOT GO THERE) which is a dangerous fake and looks exactly like a genuine Verizon site. I looked it up and it's a brand new site based in the Dominican Republic. They want you to use your login info on their site so they can capture it, login to your real Verizon account, and steal your information.

If anyone receives these calls, please report them to your phone service carrier (and to Verizon, additionally, if that's not your provider). Block the numbers and for goodness sake don't call them back or sign onto their website trap.

Please be vigilant and aware of these hoaxes. They can cause significant damage and heartache.

Some active online reports:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/8009225534

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-922-5534

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, the people who really need to know will never read the warning.

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2014 glb613 said:

Hi, glb613! I hope you're wrong. I guess the only thing we can do it try and keep sharing "in your face" messages so more people will be aware and protected.

Once someone experiences identity theft they become acutely mindful of the long-term, widespread damage that can be done.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I'd like to think I'm wrong but I know I'm not. The people who get scammed aren't on message boards or social media.

A neighbor's Mom got taken for $20,000 by scammers pretending to be her grandson. You know the scam where a relative calls needing money to get out of jail or some other bad situation. Her Mom never called to verify her grandson was out of the country because she was told not to and was scared. She has mild dementia and you can't fix that. Unfortunately, people with diminished capacity are the ones that fall for the scams despite all of the warnings. I'm sure this scam won't be any different.

Honored Contributor

probably

just keep posting the info

Respected Contributor

You can post but it doesn't mean the ones who need the information will read it.
Honored Contributor

I'd like to think I'm wrong but I know I'm not. The people who get scammed aren't on message boards or social media.

A neighbor's Mom got taken for $20,000 by scammers pretending to be her grandson. You know the scam where a relative calls needing money to get out of jail or some other bad situation. Her Mom never called to verify her grandson was out of the country because she was told not to and was scared. She has mild dementia and you can't fix that. Unfortunately, people with diminished capacity are the ones that fall for the scams despite all of the warnings. I'm sure this scam won't be any different.

I do see what you mean. Maybe more of those who are active on social media need to try and pass the info along to their friends and family who aren't. That's so sad about your neighbor's mom. I remember reading a thread in which the poster were discussing how they could protect their loved ones who were having trouble discerning valid phone calls from scams and telemarketing schemes.