Super Contributor

Trojans in downloaded program

Hi all,

For my crafting I am trying to download a program called Inkscape.  After downloading I ran my symantec scan and had 4 trojans.. I deleted the trojans and then the program in hopes I downloaded it from a wrong site.  Went to the correct site (which was the correct one I used the first time) and got the same trojans.  Repeated the clean up and tried once again, same trojans.

If after cleaning up the trojans, would the program be usable?  I really need this program!

thank you :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Trojans in downloaded program

I wish there was an absolute answer for you, but I'm afraid there isn't. Some security software sees danger where there truly isn't any and falsely labels legitimate programs as being malware. Some security software misses dangerous malware and lets it live on your computer.

Since you've already downloaded and installed the program and cleaned up the trojans (multiple times) I would probably go ahead and try running it since you really need it. I would however strongly recommend you scan again immediately after using it to be sure it doesn't try to sneak the trojans back onto your computer.

It's possible that the program in question is written in such a way that your security software is seeing an issue that truly isn't there, but you just don't know. If the program runs fine, and your future scans show no trouble, then you should be okay. If the program crashes then it's likely the trojans were a necessary part of the program and you'll have to decide if the risk outweighs the reward.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

thank you gardenman for your reply.

several people have stated be certain you download from their site only as the others definitely have viruses embedded but the .org is fine.  The trojans hid themselves in my PC cleanup program System Mechanic.  I will try it again and see what happens.

Again, thank you

Super Contributor

@PhatCat wrote:

Hi all,

For my crafting I am trying to download a program called Inkscape.  After downloading I ran my symantec scan and had 4 trojans.. I deleted the trojans and then the program in hopes I downloaded it from a wrong site.  Went to the correct site (which was the correct one I used the first time) and got the same trojans.  Repeated the clean up and tried once again, same trojans.

If after cleaning up the trojans, would the program be usable?  I really need this program!

thank you :-)

I read your entry and was interested in the Inkscape program.  I downloaded it with no problems, using the Windows Installer option 64 bit option as well.  I then ran my Malware virus detection program.  It came up clean.  I am using Chrome and Windows 10.  I think that the virus you are seeing is not coming from the Inkscape.  It appears to be clean.  HTH.

Super Contributor

My malewarebytes did not pick up the trojans at all, I ran that first and then symantec which picked up the 4.  I was able to download the 32 bit okay and ran all scans afterwards.   I don't know if it will work with a 64 bit but I'll give it the good ole college try.