Trusted Contributor

Tracfone smartphones - Blocking numbers for calls/texts?

I currently use Mr. Number to block spam phone calls.  I've used it for a long time and have liked it and recommended it to others...until a few updates ago.  I would like to find another app and wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

I would also like to know if there's a way to block unwanted text messages.  I don't get very many of these, but it would be nice to have an option to block the ones I do get.

I have two Tracfones...my Ultimate 2 is running Kit Kat (I know, sooo old, I just love that LED button that lights up when I get a call or text) and my Sunset is running Lollipop.  One of the Mr. Number reviewers said the app will not work with anything later than Lollipop.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: Tracfone smartphones - Blocking numbers for calls/texts?

[ Edited ]

I have used the Hiya app and I love it. It used to be called WhitePages and they changed the name. When it updates there are never any problems. There is a number that you can contact them at and they reply fast. Decline the number on your Tracfone and then hit the number you want to block by tapping on the number. In the upper LEFT hand corner hit Block Call. The next time that number comes in a little phone comes up on the left hand corner of my phone to let you know it automatically blocked it. If you block someone by accident you can unblock them. It will also automatically block spam and also blocked an extortion number the other day. Make sure set these choices in settings of the app. Hope this helps.

my phone number ends with 0000 so I think that is why I get so many calls on it. Smiley Happy

Haven't found any way to block texts. I just delete unknown ones without opening. I also have the Ultimate 2 by LG and love it.

Super Contributor

I really like Call Detector. I seem to remember that it was designed by Tracfone. It not only blocks calls automatically if they are robo-calls, but it has a feature that allows me to look up an unknown caller and then block it if I feel like it.

Respected Contributor

If you have Norton for your antivirus, it offers a call blocking feature that works quite well.  I don't get texts from anyone who I want to block, so I'm not sure if Norton provides that feature or not.

As an aside, I have the ZTE Zmax2 from HSN, and the home button has a light that pulses when you have a call, text, or message.  I've had this phone almost a year, and I love it.  It is 5.5 inches with 16mg of memory.  It does use Lillipop 5.1, though.  

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!  They are greatly appreciated!

I started experimenting with Call Detector and will also try the other suggestions to see what works best for me.  I've only gotten one spam number so far, but so far so good with the Call Detector.    

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks.  Just downloaded Hiya and I think I can use it.

Occasional Contributor

Oh shoot!  You mean the Samsung tracfones don't have a way to block numbers without adding something?  My iPhone 6 does and I have a million blocked numbers after only a year.  I was hoping the Samsung Galaxy Sky did have something for that, so much easier.  Any suggestions on what to add to the Sky?  Thank you.

Occasional Contributor

Where do you get this and how is it added?  Can it work with Samsung Galaxy Sky? Sound perfect.

Occasional Contributor

This is in reference to The Call Detector.

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @Duffy, and welcome. I see this is your 1st day here. Notice how I used the @ symbol next to your name? That shows on your screen as a notification that Ive mentioned you in my post, and can lead you back here. 

Along the left margin where all the forums are listed, near the top you will see one titled

" Welcome, Get Started"

I believe you'll find helpful information there.