Honored Contributor

Re: There's an Apple update this morning 8.0.2

I had my NEW iPad Air in for a battery question last Friday, and the Genius told me that sometimes a clean start with a non-automatic reintroduction of apps (each app re-installed as new, NOT from a backup) is necessary and/or helpful. For me, this would be a HUGE UNDERTAKING, and I wouldn't do it without a very knowledgeable person right next to me. That said, I have some apps saved that I'd no doubt be better off without.
Respected Contributor

On 9/29/2014 violann said: I had my NEW iPad Air in for a battery question last Friday, and the Genius told me that sometimes a clean start with a non-automatic reintroduction of apps (each app re-installed as new, NOT from a backup) is necessary and/or helpful. For me, this would be a HUGE UNDERTAKING, and I wouldn't do it without a very knowledgeable person right next to me. That said, I have some apps saved that I'd no doubt be better off without.

If you installed the apps the first time, you can do it again. All you need to do is open the app store then select purchased, install the ones you want and ignore the rest.

Contributor

Thanks for this great info! I, too, got an update notice for my IPAD Air. I have 16gb, and was sure that I could do anything I needed to do on it, with enough space to manage it all without problems. All I do is read books, Ebay, Facebook, etc. NO games! I tried to clear out app, but was told there was still not enough space for the new program. So I purchased the extra iCloud space for 99 cents a month. Still problems. I am definitely NOT a computer minded person, and am searching for answers to my problems. Maybe I will NOT download the latest program at all!

Super Contributor

On 9/29/2014 punky48 said:

Thanks for this great info! I, too, got an update notice for my IPAD Air. I have 16gb, and was sure that I could do anything I needed to do on it, with enough space to manage it all without problems. All I do is read books, Ebay, Facebook, etc. NO games! I tried to clear out app, but was told there was still not enough space for the new program. So I purchased the extra iCloud space for 99 cents a month. Still problems. I am definitely NOT a computer minded person, and am searching for answers to my problems. Maybe I will NOT download the latest program at all!

If you are just using the iPad for reading, eBay, and Facebook and you say you have no room, this leads me to believe that you have all/most of your books downloaded directly to your iBooks app. You should send the books that you are not reading to the cloud. You will still have access to them anytime you want, but if you send them to the cloud they won't actually take up local space on your device. Cloud is used to store things that you own. So you can send physical things like books, movies, music, apps, documents,,etc to the cloud. It's a virtual space to put things when you aren't using them. When you bought the additional cloud space for 99€ that gives you more room in that virtual cloud space to store things. It doesn't give you more space on the actual device. The space on the device is where the update for the operating system needs to live, not something that can live in the cloud. To make more room on your device, I suggest moving books and apps you are not using to the cloud.
Super Contributor

Books will be organized in the same collections on all of your devices. You can read and organize your books with your iPhone or iPod touch while you're on the go, and when you return home to your iPad, you'll find your books in the same organization you created on your iPhone or iPod touch. When you delete a purchased book from your iBooks library on your iOS device, you have the option to Delete This Copy or Delete From All Devices. To free up storage on your device while keeping your library organization, tap Delete This Copy. The copy of the book on that iOS device will be removed, but the cover of the book will remain in your iBooks library with a cloud icon visible in the upper corner. To download the book again, just tap the book cover. To remove a purchased book from your library on all of your devices, tap Delete From All Devices. The book will be removed from all of your iOS devices, and its cover will only appear in the Purchased Books collection with a cloud icon visible in the upper corner. If you change your mind, you can download the book again from your Purchased Books collection.
Super Contributor

In the post above I copy/pasted from Apple.com about iBooks, and moving books from your device to the cloud. Here is the direct link to the article if the above is too hard to read --http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5544
Esteemed Contributor

I updated to IOS 8.0 but have not done 8.1 or 8.2 because of all the problems people are reporting. I have ipad 3. I am now having trouble navigating on Safari. The 'back' button/arrow does not work at all now. If I want to go back to where I was, I have to go 'home' and start all over again. I am also getting delayed response typing. Should I do 8.2? I wonder when they will fix this. What a mess. DH has iPad Air and he is having trouble also with 8.0. TIA. LM

Esteemed Contributor

Bump
Honored Contributor

8.0.2 is fine. Quick download. Didn't make anything worse.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Regular Contributor

I updated my IPAD to 8.0 last week and am so sorry I did. Everything is so slow. When I close an app I double click on the home page and then swipe up on the home page to close it BUT when I go into another web site, the other site shows up as well. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?