Respected Contributor

Re: System Restore Questions

@Gokat wrote:

I took down the prior link, @SaRina ...as I since found out it's out of commission for some reason.Woman Wink, but here's Woody's link for the future for you.

https://www.askwoody.com/

...and another link that talks to the problem and how to take care of it.  Woody writes for Infoworld as well. 

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3120365/microsoft-windows/kb-3185911-speeds-up-the-windows-7-scan-f...

If you read this before you do your restore, please check your list of updates needing install FIRST under "Important Updates" and see if Kxxx5911 is in the list.  If it is, install it ONLY.  Uncheck all others.  You won't need to restore as this K# is the fix so that Windows will now search for, download, and install them quickly/normally. 

If, instead, you've already restored, there's a two-step manual process to download Kxxx5911 to your computer  in the above-linked article...and go from there.  HTH's Woman Happy

Without being able to work with your computer personally it's impossible to know about the number of updates and how often they're coming in.  

I've been editing as I find new information so I hope this all makes sense!  HTH'sWoman Happy

@Hi @Gokat.  I haven't done the additional System Restore yet -- just have a lot of other "stuff" going on right now.  I'm going to try to check out the link you gave some time this weekend and try to make sense out of all this stuff, but I'm not so sure about today since I got no sleep last night and I can barely see straight.  :-)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

A few months ago, my Win7 laptop slowed to a crawl on web sites. I also could no longer install updates -- the update screen was essentially frozen, it wouldn't move. Malwarebytes scan was negative.  At that time, I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, who "overhauled" my software and everything was fine after that. Until now.....

The same exact thing has happened since a couple of days ago. System slow and I can't install updates. This time, I decided to do a System Restore, which I've never done before. I restored back to the last software update, which was 9/6/16. Malwarebytes scan again is negative, but there is no resolution to this problem.

1) Should I do another System Restore and choose a date further back in time?

2) When you revert back to a previous date, doesn't it delete those software updates that you installed after that date as well?  Leaving you vulnerable?

I think it's time to take a look at a Chromebook.

Walking the dog, so will be back later.

If it was my computer, I'd backup what I can't afford to lose and do a complete factory restore.  Put it back to the out-of-the-box condition and start over.  It does take time but not a lot of skill.  One of the most important things you need to save before you proceed, all of your user names and passwords including the security name and number for your router.  If you don't know the router name and password, you won't be able to get online. 

Doing a factory restore will make your computer run like new.  You can get Microsoft updates before installing anything else and avoid conflicts.  Downloading and installing the Microsoft updates is the most time consuming part of the job.  If this is of some interest, let me know and I can provide additional information. 

This is what I did 2 days ago......everything is working so much better now.....it was a little scary doing it though...LOL

You did a factory restore?  Put it back to the original condition?  I thought you wrote you did a system restore which is not the same thing. 

Respected Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

So reading through all this, it appears you are still able to get all the updates to Windows 7 if you restore to factory defaults?  I have been considering restoring  because my laptop (3 years old) is dog slow.  I had extra RAM added when I bought it but somehow I do not think the data is partitioned correctly, I keep getting warnings about high CPU usage.  I have a vintage Click Free that worked when I moved from my Windows XP desk top to this Windows 7 laptop.  I have been wondering if I need to get a different external hard drive if I plan to move to Windows 10 someday (worried the Click Free is too old to work on the newer OS).  I am partially tech savvy about certain things but restoring a computer to factory defaults is not one of them.  You guys are making it sound less scary.  

I don't think she restored to factory defaults.  But the answer to your question is yes.  You will get all of the updates.  For me, doing a factory restore is like painting.  The prep work is what takes the most time. 

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

A few months ago, my Win7 laptop slowed to a crawl on web sites. I also could no longer install updates -- the update screen was essentially frozen, it wouldn't move. Malwarebytes scan was negative.  At that time, I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, who "overhauled" my software and everything was fine after that. Until now.....

The same exact thing has happened since a couple of days ago. System slow and I can't install updates. This time, I decided to do a System Restore, which I've never done before. I restored back to the last software update, which was 9/6/16. Malwarebytes scan again is negative, but there is no resolution to this problem.

1) Should I do another System Restore and choose a date further back in time?

2) When you revert back to a previous date, doesn't it delete those software updates that you installed after that date as well?  Leaving you vulnerable?

I think it's time to take a look at a Chromebook.

Walking the dog, so will be back later.

If it was my computer, I'd backup what I can't afford to lose and do a complete factory restore.  Put it back to the out-of-the-box condition and start over.  It does take time but not a lot of skill.  One of the most important things you need to save before you proceed, all of your user names and passwords including the security name and number for your router.  If you don't know the router name and password, you won't be able to get online. 

Doing a factory restore will make your computer run like new.  You can get Microsoft updates before installing anything else and avoid conflicts.  Downloading and installing the Microsoft updates is the most time consuming part of the job.  If this is of some interest, let me know and I can provide additional information. 

@Thanks for this info, @glb613. I don't know if I'm up to a major task like this. I must confess.... the only thing I understand about updates is that I'm notified when there are new ones, I select the ones I want to install, then I install them.  I know nothing about what I bolded. In other words, if I decide to restore to factory condition, does that mean I have to find and install all Microsoft updates since the beginning of time? I also don't know if it's worth it for a 7-year-old laptop. (??) I'll let you know if I want to go that route (pun intended). :-)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once you can get to it, this one is pretty easy now that the correction is available.   If Kxxx5911 is already downloaded to your computer, just follow my instructions.  If not, I've also given directions for that.  You won't need to do another System Restore, unless you want to.

I installed my updates from Tuesday using this method last night without incident.Woman Wink 

Good luck, @SaRina, and enjoy your weekend!  Woman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

Thanks for this info, @glb613. I don't know if I'm up to a major task like this. I must confess.... the only thing I understand about updates is that I'm notified when there are new ones, I select the ones I want to install, then I install them.  I know nothing about what I bolded. In other words, if I decide to restore to factory condition, does that mean I have to find and install all Microsoft updates since the beginning of time? I also don't know if it's worth it for a 7-year-old laptop. (??) I'll let you know if I want to go that route (pun intended). :-)

Yes, you install the entire list of updates.  The last time I did it, I let it run, restarted when prompted and did other things while downloading/installing was ongoing.  I have found there comes a point where trying to fix it doesn't work and a complete restore breathes new life into an old computer.  If you aren't up for it, try the other suggestions. 

Respected Contributor

@Gokat wrote:

Once you can get to it, this one is pretty easy now that the correction is available.   If Kxxx5911 is already downloaded to your computer, just follow my instructions.  If not, I've also given directions for that.  You won't need to do another System Restore, unless you want to.

I installed my updates from Tuesday using this method last night without incident.Woman Wink 

Good luck, @SaRina, and enjoy your weekend!  Woman Happy

@Gokat, KB3185911 was one of the 14 or so updates available to install yesterday. I was unable to install any of them. When my computer "Searches for Updates", it doesn't find anything -- yet, my lower right toolbar icon says updates are available.  I don't get that.

Anyhow, I took a quick look at Woody site. It's really a bit above my head. I saw an awful lot of talk about patches and KB numbers flying around, but didn't directly see any instructions.  So I googled "How to install KB3185911" and was able to download it as a stand-alone at the Microsoft Download Center. Unfortunately, I don't know how to install it from my Downloads.  Nothing is happening. :-(

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Thanks for this info, @glb613. I don't know if I'm up to a major task like this. I must confess.... the only thing I understand about updates is that I'm notified when there are new ones, I select the ones I want to install, then I install them.  I know nothing about what I bolded. In other words, if I decide to restore to factory condition, does that mean I have to find and install all Microsoft updates since the beginning of time? I also don't know if it's worth it for a 7-year-old laptop. (??) I'll let you know if I want to go that route (pun intended). :-)

Yes, you install the entire list of updates.  The last time I did it, I let it run, restarted when prompted and did other things while downloading/installing was ongoing.  I have found there comes a point where trying to fix it doesn't work and a complete restore breathes new life into an old computer.  If you aren't up for it, try the other suggestions. 

@glb613, so my dumb question is.... Where do you find the entire list of updates?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyhow, I took a quick look at Woody site. It's really a bit above my head. I saw an awful lot of talk about patches and KB numbers flying around, but didn't directly see any instructions.  So I googled "How to install KB3185911" and was able to download it as a stand-alone at the Microsoft Download Center. .Unfortunately, I don't know how to install it from my Downloads  Nothing is happening. :-(

I can see you're getting frustrated, @SaRina .  That's probably mostly because you're over-tired.

I can tell you from my own prior experience with the "stuck" in the update process problem that if you let your computer run (hours) all the updates WILL come through.  Just ignore your computer and do something else, preferably something enjoyable and destress.Woman Wink

Just use Woody's site in the future to see whether there are problems BEFORE searching for or installing any updates.  HTH'sWoman Happy

PS..BTW re: Microsoft's download site?  Can be another exercise in frustration as a good part of the time it doesn't work well...the downloads take an inordinate amount of time to download or the download can get cut off in processWoman LOL

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

@glb613, so my dumb question is.... Where do you find the entire list of updates?

This may be more than you should tackle.  Windws updates are found in the control panel.  It's turn on to automatic by default.