Respected Contributor

A few months ago, my Win7 laptop slowed to a crawl on web sites. I also could no longer install updates -- the update screen was essentially frozen, it wouldn't move. Malwarebytes scan was negative.  At that time, I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, who "overhauled" my software and everything was fine after that. Until now.....

The same exact thing has happened since a couple of days ago. System slow and I can't install updates. This time, I decided to do a System Restore, which I've never done before. I restored back to the last software update, which was 9/6/16. Malwarebytes scan again is negative, but there is no resolution to this problem.

1) Should I do another System Restore and choose a date further back in time?

2) When you revert back to a previous date, doesn't it delete those software updates that you installed after that date as well?  Leaving you vulnerable?

I think it's time to take a look at a Chromebook.

Walking the dog, so will be back later.

Honored Contributor

Re: System Restore Questions

You've mentioned running Malwarebytes several times, but you've never mentioned running an antivirus program. Malwarebytes is for malware, but you need a separate antivirus program.

Do you have one and have you run that? I recommend doing that before you do anything else.

You can run multiple system restores. And yes, anything you installed after the restore point will need to be added again, so run a Windows update after you do a system restore to make sure you download any security patches.

I would run an antivirus and see if that comes up with anything before running another system restore.

Honored Contributor

Are you keeping things cleaned out?  I like CCleaner for that, and then do a defrag (Auslogics is a good one).    I do this fairly often - especially after I've been to my bank account and when there have been a bunch of updates.

Keeping all the debris that builds up in a system makes a HUGE difference for performance.

That's just one idea, FWIW.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know EXACTLY what you've experienced, @SaRina .

This is a Microsoft problem that's ended up being yours (and many other users'), I'm afraid.

Several months ago Microsoft began "rollups" of Updates which means the user loses control of what updates they wish to download/install because many K-numbers can be included in one Rollup.  I hope that's not confusing to you .  This was done to pare down the number of updates to once monthly.   If there's problem with an individual K-number within the rollup, the user has to wait for MS to fix it.

When the Rollups started so started the freezing and lengthy (hours upon hours)  downloading Updates. 

Because this is not a problem with your computer but with the Updates Microsoft is sending through a Restore will only work until the next faulty Update comes through.  This was supposed to have been fixed a couple of months ago, but promises from MS of a permanent fix have already fallen through a few times.

There's a site called AskWoody.com.  where a gentleman reports on the Rollups when they're sent through...whether it's safe to install them and also he and Windows 7 and 8 users report when fixes come through.  This is for you for the future. Woman Wink

I purposely haven't installed my Win 7 Updates from Tuesday as I know not to until I have the time to check first.  Yes, I see there is a problem with this batch again. Woman Mad

I suggest that you DO restore to the day prior to your recent Updates install, stay in touch with the Ask Woody site,  and don't Update again until either the problem is corrected or a fix is posted to take care of it. HTH'sWoman Happy

Here's a link to the fix for this month, @SaRina.  Just read it over and install the recommended K-numbers BEFORE attempting this month's rollup again.  HTH's

PS...BTW I recall distinctly the time-consuming cleanup you went through last time.   Woman Wink

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

Same problem here.  After I did updates last week, my computer FROZE.  I couldn't do anything, except hit the power button to turn it off.  My techie friend helped me last weekend and it's doing better, but we're starting a REFORMAT tonight.  It will probably take the rest of the weekend to reinstall programs, do updates, etc. etc. etc.Smiley Mad

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue, yes, sorry, I forgot about Microsoft Security Essentials, which is my built-in, automatic real-time virus scanner. That's negative too. I only mentioned Malwarebytes because that's a program I have to initiate to run.

@chickenbutt, yes, I run CC Cleaner regularly, thanks to the folks on this forum :-) I'm a low-volume laptop user anyhow.  Defragging is also automatic.

@Gokat, that *$+!~^$*&%*  Microsoft.  But..... I've been getting notice of updates at least once a week and in some cases, every few days throughout the summer -- not just once a month as you explained. I successfully installed my last software update on 9/6/16 and had zero issues until yesterday or the day before (9/14).

There are 14 new updates today and I will make sure to check with AskWoody.  Thank you very much for the link!

Now, I will go back and do a System Restore  prior to  the update of 9/6.

Thanks everyone. Will let you know what happens.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took down the prior link, @SaRina ...as I since found out it's out of commission for some reason.Woman Wink, but here's Woody's link for the future for you.

https://www.askwoody.com/

...and another link that talks to the problem and how to take care of it.  Woody writes for Infoworld as well. 

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3120365/microsoft-windows/kb-3185911-speeds-up-the-windows-7-scan-f...

If you read this before you do your restore, please check your list of updates needing install FIRST under "Important Updates" and see if Kxxx5911 is in the list.  If it is, install it ONLY.  Uncheck all others.  You won't need to restore as this K# is the fix so that Windows will now search for, download, and install them quickly/normally. 

If, instead, you've already restored, there's a two-step manual process to download Kxxx5911 to your computer  in the above-linked article...and go from there.  HTH's Woman Happy

Without being able to work with your computer personally it's impossible to know about the number of updates and how often they're coming in.  

I've been editing as I find new information so I hope this all makes sense!  HTH'sWoman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

A few months ago, my Win7 laptop slowed to a crawl on web sites. I also could no longer install updates -- the update screen was essentially frozen, it wouldn't move. Malwarebytes scan was negative.  At that time, I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, who "overhauled" my software and everything was fine after that. Until now.....

The same exact thing has happened since a couple of days ago. System slow and I can't install updates. This time, I decided to do a System Restore, which I've never done before. I restored back to the last software update, which was 9/6/16. Malwarebytes scan again is negative, but there is no resolution to this problem.

2) When you revert back to a previous date, doesn't it delete those software updates that you installed after that date as well?  Leaving you vulnerable?

If it was my computer, I'd backup what I can't afford to lose and do a complete factory restore.  Put it back to the out-of-the-box condition and start over.  It does take time but not a lot of skill.  One of the most important things you need to save before you proceed, all of your user names and passwords including the security name and number for your router.  If you don't know the router name and password, you won't be able to get online. 

Doing a factory restore will make your computer run like new.  You can get Microsoft updates before installing anything else and avoid conflicts.  Downloading and installing the Microsoft updates is the most time consuming part of the job.  If this is of some interest, let me know and I can provide additional information. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

If it was my computer, I'd backup what I can't afford to lose and do a complete factory restore.  Put it back to the out-of-the-box condition and start over.  It does take time but not a lot of skill.  One of the most important things you need to save before you proceed, all of your user names and passwords including the security name and number for your router.  If you don't know the router name and password, you won't be able to get online. 

Doing a factory restore will make your computer run like new.  You can get Microsoft updates before installing anything else and avoid conflicts.  Downloading and installing the Microsoft updates is the most time consuming part of the job.  If this is of some interest, let me know and I can provide additional information. 

This is what I did 2 days ago......everything is working so much better now.....it was a little scary doing it though...LOL

Valued Contributor

So reading through all this, it appears you are still able to get all the updates to Windows 7 if you restore to factory defaults?  I have been considering restoring  because my laptop (3 years old) is dog slow.  I had extra RAM added when I bought it but somehow I do not think the data is partitioned correctly, I keep getting warnings about high CPU usage.  I have a vintage Click Free that worked when I moved from my Windows XP desk top to this Windows 7 laptop.  I have been wondering if I need to get a different external hard drive if I plan to move to Windows 10 someday (worried the Click Free is too old to work on the newer OS).  I am partially tech savvy about certain things but restoring a computer to factory defaults is not one of them.  You guys are making it sound less scary.