Respected Contributor

I have a Samsung smart tv. Is there a way to get rid of the snow or what ever its called? it is light. I can watch netflix and such with a crystal clear screen  but cable  channels not so clear. All my connections appear to be solid. No loose wires. I really did  not find a good answer on an internet search

Honored Contributor

Read the troubleshooting section in the tv user manual and/or call your cable company tech support.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

That was tried already ages before posting the queation here. 

Honored Contributor

Since you didn't mention it, I wasn't sure.  What was everyone's response to your issue? 

Did you also call Samsung tech support?  You didn't mention if you did or not either.  Their response?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

That was tried already ages before posting the queation here. 

You can go to http://www.dslreports.com/ There is a forum here for each company. See if the boys have any answers, and then talk to your cable provider.  Comcast did some major upgrades in my neighborhood. There is not any "snow" in the signal coming in.

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz

If you have a receiver or DVR from your TV provider, how is it connected to your tv set? I see it as a problem with your receiver/DVR or possibly with the connection between the output of your "provider box and your tv input.

It can be what connects the 2 devices, or possibly the output on 1 device and/or the input on the other. Possibly a bad cable. If you are able to stream Netflix with a good picture, seems like your wi-fi is fine. That leaves what and how the 2 devices are connected or 1 or both of the things I mentioned above.

I always start with a complete reset/unplug of 1 device at a time. If it still is a problem, I do the same with the other. If that doesn't fix the problem I change the cable(s) that connect the 2 devices. In my case that would be looking for a bad HDMI cable, or a bad "output" from 1 source to the "input" of the other.

If you have a DVD or Bluray also connected, how is the picture when viewing that component? That is about all I got with the info you have provided in your post.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I have a Samsung smart tv. Is there a way to get rid of the snow or what ever its called? it is light. I can watch netflix and such with a crystal clear screen  but cable  channels not so clear. All my connections appear to be solid. No loose wires. I really did  not find a good answer on an internet search

The big question is how is your cable box connected to the HDTV? If it's connected by an HDMI cable you should have no snow. Everything stays digital that way and there should be no snow. Your Netflix and online programming are coming in digitally so they're crystal clear.

If you're using the older coax cable and going with an analog connection to the antenna input of the HDTV there are a couple of possible culprits. One is line interference. If a power cord runs near, under, around the coax cable it can sometimes induce a current into the coax cable and affect the image quality. (It shouldn't matter in a well shielded cable, but sometimes the shielding isn't all that effective.) Rerouting the coax cable may help solve that problem. Snow can be caused by a bad cable/connector. Swapping out the coax cable with another one may solve that issue.

Most cable companies are now fully digital, but if yours isn't then those same issues can affect the signal anywhere along the signal path and that's more of a cable company issue. Any analog connection is going to give you an inferior picture to a digital picture. The only way to get a crystal clear picture is to go all digital with either an over the air antenna, or digital cable service.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!