Respected Contributor

So Watched Shark Tank tonight, here's the deal with Lori and Robert

Costs 75 cents a piece to produce and on the Q you can get 4 for about $27

Just love America....pure profit

Respected Contributor

LOL!  Seems like I saw Robert H on a show last year about those kinds of issues (60 Minutes? 20/20? or something like that).  He said You can just wrap your cards in aluminum foil & that will block access.  Go figure...  

Earlier this year I bought a Vera wallet just because I liked all the features, I liked the pattern & the price was right (there was a 2nd wallet of a different style included.)  It has that blocking technology, but that was not why I bought the set.

Esteemed Contributor

I was surprised to see the gentleman on the Q. as I had just seen him on Shark Tank....that is quite a profit him and the Q....are making....

I just bought a Tininello....(sorry i know that is spelled wrong) purse with that RFID protection in it....bought it in the "as is"....section....hoping it is in okay condition....

Honored Contributor

Ok. but production costs don't cover transportation, warehousing, marketing, salespeople, etc.  Those costs of retailing undoubtedly cost more than producing the items in some labor market not in the US. 

Not saying there isn't great profit to be made, but that we need to be aware that there are all kinds of costs involved, so the profit isn't the price minus the .75 they discuss.  When you start to think that way, nothing anywhere is worth what we decide to pay.

Trusted Contributor

I was going to buy it but lots of reviews on line and at Amazon said it does not work. Reviewers said that it did not prevent scanning of information.  So I decided against it.  I hope the Sharks check into the quality of the item and fix the problems he had with effectiveness. I would much rather have a small card to just slip into my wallet/purse than have have to buy a special wallet or purse.  I like what I aleady have in terms of a wallet and purses, I just want the protection.  This would have been perfect if it actually worked.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

Q's price seems OK, given that Amazon is selling one card for about $15.  Heck, I'm not against profit.  That's what business is all about, and it results in jobs, which many of us need.

As for whether it works...the great mystery about this and similar products:  yes, there are reviews that say it doesn't work, but also reviews that say it does.  It's impossible to evaluate the reviews without knowing how tests were performed.  As Lori pointed out, when you remove your cc from the wallet, it's not protected.  I can't believe that any investor (a Shark or anyone else) would back the product without verifying that it worked.   The investors have lots of money and their reputations on the line.  Investments aren't made lightly.  

So, who knows?  The larger question for me is why can't cc be designed that can't be hacked????    Is there really no way????? 

Contributor

I  bought 4. From gma deals after seeing them on Shark Tank.  The demo on there and the instructions differ as to the correct way to use them. So I went searching via Google for more info and reviews. What I found was a video of a guy testing them. It failed so he got another tester to check again it failed the test of blocking.  He said he contacted Signa Vault and never got a response.  I decided to write also and its been a month now and I still have not heard back. How do you know if the cards are doing their job. You don't.  And that is my big concern. Am I or am I not protected.     I dont think I will be buying anymore and if you have one I would be concerned also.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Signal Vault

[ Edited ]

The RFID technology has created a huge industry in blocking them. Fact is, very few credit cards have true RFID in them. Unless your card can pay or do any other transaction TOUCH-FREE, then it's not RFID but simply microchipped. Microchips do not make you susceptible to scanners passing by. Besides, someone who wants your credit card info is not standing in line behind you scanning your wallet. These thieves find it much easier and cheaper than buying RFID scanning equipment by doing it via internet. You're more likely to get struck by lightning than being scanned by some id thief in line at your grocery store...that is if you even have a real RFID transmitting credit card.

Instilling fear is a for-sure way to make a buck.