Respected Contributor

Should I buy Microsoft Word software or is there any alternative?

Hating to pay the $150 for it, but I don't know what else to do.  Should I get it online or at a store? 

My new computer with Windows 10 doesn't seem to want me load any software on it.  I hate it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should I buy Microsoft Word software or is there any alternative?

[ Edited ]

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-microsoft-office-alternatives/

I use Microsoft Office  on my Window 8.1 computer. I use Outlook and word for most tasks. I lease the software from MS for $69 plus tax for a year. I downloaded the software form Microsoft Office site.

You may want to try Chrome, Google Docs, and gmail. These programs are great, free, and can run on most devices.

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

Hating to pay the $150 for it, but I don't know what else to do.  Should I get it online or at a store? 

My new computer with Windows 10 doesn't seem to want me load any software on it.  I hate it.

I don't know if it's Windows 10 or security software but, they make it difficult to install software.  I understand it's because of malware but, it doesn't have to be that difficult. 

If you have a copy of Word, it should install unless it's too old for Windows 10.  There are free Office suites free for the download and they are compatible with Microsoft Office.  One is Open Office and the other is Libre Office.  I'd try one of them first. 

Honored Contributor

Another one is Apache Open Office. I did not see that at the link nutmeg provided. http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-alternative-to-microsoft-word

The only reason we have MS Word is because DH can buy it thru his work for $10. 

Respected Contributor

Well, I was soooo happy, I knew you guys would come through!

However, I downloaded Libre, but can't seem to use it.  It wasw suppossed to be on my desktp, but only the Windows 10 stuff is on my screen.  I can find it under files and my downloads, but when I click on it, it just takes me to downloading it again.

Same thing happened with a tax document I need to print out, can't do it.  What am I missing here??!!!

Honored Contributor

It depends on what you need the program to do. I start there, because of features and compatibility.

If you need it for work or school and need some advanced features, you should probably make the purchase. (You may be able to write it off on your taxes if you need it for work or school.) If you need it for work and the people you usually work with use MS Word, I'd probably go ahead and get it. If you're a contractor, I think you can write that off, but I'd ask a CPA to be sure.

If you don't need it for work or school and only need the basic features and nothing very advanced, then you may be able to use a free word processing software instead. I like the Google tools, like Google Docs (word processing) and Sheets (spreadsheets). They don't do everything I can do in MS software, but they're good for basic home use. I do a lot of advanced stuff in MS PowerPoint, so the free versions mostly just aggravate me, but they're probably fine if you just want to make a flyer.

Esteemed Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

However, I downloaded Libre, but can't seem to use it.  It wasw suppossed to be on my desktp, but only the Windows 10 stuff is on my screen.  I can find it under files and my downloads, but when I click on it, it just takes me to downloading it again.

Same thing happened with a tax document I need to print out, can't do it.  What am I missing here??!!!

This program has a setup program, an MSI,Window Installer.  

It downloads first and then the actual software.

This is the help page. https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/system-requirements/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I actually still use Microsoft Works for some things.   Since they stopped putting it on computers a few years ago, I just purchased a copy of my own on the cheap - can use on however many computers I want.

Well, on my Windows 10 computer they rendered it useless with one of their updates.  That really ticks me off.   It seems like almost every time there is an update on Win10 they kill one of my softwares.  Last time it was Auslogics Defrag that got killed and it cannot be reinstalled.  I hate something that controlling.  

But I still use a Win8.1 computer and two Win7 ones and can still use MS Works on those.

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

You are not opening the program or app.  You need to get into the app section and find it there.  I'd suggest you download and install Classic Shell.  It makes your computer look and function like older versions for Windows like Windows 7 . 

Classic shell

Respected Contributor

Chynna - this is for home use only.  I just can't get access to it once I downloaded the free word software.  Am still trying, will delete what I have and try and reload with link from nutmeg.  Grrr!  Will look into Google docs - thanks!