Respected Contributor

I posted the following in Community Chat earlier today, but @nutmeg3 suggested I re-post here.  ................. :-)

This may be old news to some of you, but I just heard it for the first time, so I'm passing it along.

Many of us are familiar with getting a telephone call asking us for our computer passwords or we will be frozen, but this is a more credible variation on that theme.  A pop-up window on your computer screen freezes your computer and tells you your computer is infected with a virus and to download the Windows software provided to correct the problem or call a telephone number.  The software contains malware.  The pop-up cannot be closed, which is why people tend to act on it.  Do not download the software or call the telephone number.

Just hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete, then unplug your computer, then restart, to get rid of the pop-up.. You can report the issue to ic3.gov.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  DH had this happen to him just last week. He is on a Mac, as I am.  Fortunately he has a grandson who works with Macs and he advised him how to get rid of it.  I'm passing your sollution on to others I know.  Appreciate your taking the time to post twice, since this is the only place I go.

Esteemed Contributor

Happened to hubby.  He called me to fix it and I hit control alt delete.. then shut down the computer.  Then I ran a scan, two of them actually.  I also went to Google to see if anything else could be done.  In any case it is all fixed now.

I do have a question.  How did this happen in the first place.  I caution him not to do so many searches.  Perhaps HE will finally listen.  He also was trying out Twitter for the first time.  

Perhaps someone knows how we are vulnerable and I can  YELL AT HIM FOR MORE THINGS HE IS DOING THAT ARE DANGEROUS.  Cannot leave him alone for a  minute LOL.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina

thank you for passing this on to others.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

Re: ScareWare Computer Scam

[ Edited ]

Lol @bonnielu. They do cause a lot of trouble, don't they?

I don't really know how this started and I don't know if it has anything to do with number of searches or Twitter.  I heard it reported on my local news today.  It sounded like they were reporting it as something fairly new so I thought I'd give everyone a heads up.  I know I have appreciated (and benefited) from others posting important info, so I wanted to return the favor.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Happened to hubby.  He called me to fix it and I hit control alt delete.. then shut down the computer.  Then I ran a scan, two of them actually.  I also went to Google to see if anything else could be done.  In any case it is all fixed now.

I do have a question.  How did this happen in the first place.  I caution him not to do so many searches.  Perhaps HE will finally listen.  He also was trying out Twitter for the first time.  

Perhaps someone knows how we are vulnerable and I can  YELL AT HIM FOR MORE THINGS HE IS DOING THAT ARE DANGEROUS.  Cannot leave him alone for a  minute LOL.

I imagine that could be a lot of it.   I asked this in the other thread, and have a few other times but nobody ever responds - I also wonder if some of the people who are not knowledgeable about maintaining a computer might be the ones having this happen because they don't keep things updated and have proper protection.

There are two things about this - 1)  One absolutely MUST learn these things; and 2)  There are always people, here and elsewhere, who are willing to help people learn how to take care of a computer and keep themselves safe.

It is imperative that we know how to keep a computer clean, maintain it, and protect it.   I hope those who are not aware of this will ask questions.  Smiley Happy   I, for one (and there are many others here) am more than happy to help.

Respected Contributor

Hi Perkup,

Would you please reply and share the solution to rid this problem if you are on a Mac, since it really would help other Mac users?

Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@I posted the following in Community Chat earlier today, but @Nuttmeg suggested I re-post here.  ................. :-)

This may be old news to some of you, but I just heard it for the first time, so I'm passing it along.

Many of us are familiar with getting a telephone call asking us for our computer passwords or we will be frozen, but this is a more credible variation on that theme.  A pop-up window on your computer screen freezes your computer and tells you your computer is infected with a virus and to download the Windows software provided to correct the problem or call a telephone number.  The software contains malware.  The pop-up cannot be closed, which is why people tend to act on it.  Do not download the software or call the telephone number.

Just hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete, then unplug your computer, then restart, to get rid of the pop-up.. You can report the issue to ic3.gov.

Thanks for posting this. I wouldn't know what to do. 

Esteemed Contributor

Using google I found  lists of ways to fix it.  I picked out the one for Windows 8 and then looked to see if it made sense to me.  I really did not want to go too far as I am intuitive but not trained to make a technical fix like a tech person would.  I just checked out what I could do and then  hoped it would work.  And yes,  Hubby is now on a short leash.  He does not have my skill to make it work after he gets into all kinds of computer trouble.  He just hunts me down and looks like the world will end and I have to drop everyting to save him.  Getting a bit old but my fault I guess.. just about 50 years now of making everything right without causing an issue.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, thank you for posting this. I wish these horrible people would find something else to do with there time.Woman Mad