Valued Contributor

The dishwasher repairman just told my husband we should rinse off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher!   I haven't done that in years.  We do scrape off the food but do not rinse.   Perhaps I'll buy a different brand next time.

Honored Contributor

Good to know.  I don't rinse dishes.

Honored Contributor

My Kenmore "Elite" (LOL) does an absolutely SPLENDID job on my dishware just as long as I pre-wash them in hot soapy water before putting them in !!!

Honored Contributor

I thought all dishwashers had a "pre wash" setting.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Re: Samsung Dishwasher

[ Edited ]

@Nicecupoftea wrote:

The dishwasher repairman just told my husband we should rinse off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher!   I haven't done that in years.  We do scrape off the food but do not rinse.   Perhaps I'll buy a different brand next time.

Do you wash dishes everyday? I don't so I rinse mine because if I didn't, the dishwasher would smell. 

Valued Contributor

I think he thought we just threw plates and leftovers right into the DW!   We told him we scraped food off plates into trash can.  He finally decided we are using too much DW detergent, which is clogging up the pipes.  I still prefer washing dishes myself.   I wasn't raised using a DW!

Respected Contributor

I know they've always said not to rinse as the "sensors" (for lack of a better word) work better when they are just scraped. I could never do it. I always rinse mine (ok, pretty much wash) before loading. Didn't they recently make changes in automatic dishwashing detergents for the environment?  It probably doesn't work as well now. I've had top of the line dishwashers that never got everything off without rinsing unless you turned the water heater way up over 140.  Did that for awhile but it wastes money and you could just about scald yourself if you weren't careful. 

I rinse and and add a little Lemon brite and a rinse agent, and they come out great. I also imagine most people don't clean the filter like they should if they are just scraping. 

Super Contributor

@Nicecupoftea wrote:

I think he thought we just threw plates and leftovers right into the DW!   We told him we scraped food off plates into trash can.  He finally decided we are using too much DW detergent, which is clogging up the pipes.  I still prefer washing dishes myself.   I wasn't raised using a DW!

@Nicecupoftea, we learned from our repairman (Frigidaire Gallery) to only fill the soap cup 1/2 full and to not put any soap in the pre wash cup. He said that he's unsure why they make the cups so large, when dishwashers don't need that much soap AND too much soap can cause problems, like leaking - which we were experiencing. We were even get soap build up on the seal around the door. Anyway, once we reduced the amount of soap we put in, we haven't experienced any other issues. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Respected Contributor

A DW is no good if you have to wash or rinse the dishes first.

I have a GE Profile that gets my dishes sparkling clean with no rinsing.

If you have a DW, please use the sani-cycle or steam cycle.  A regular cycle does not kill salmanella if the water isn't hot enough.  I found that info. when I was researching dog dishes believe it or not.

Also hand washing does not get dishes near as clean as a DW for those that don't like using them.

Honored Contributor

@Nicecupoftea  Hence the reason I do not have a mechanical dishwasher.  What's the oint of almost needing to 'wash' the dishes before loading up the dishwasher?  On the other hand if I had one I'd for sure be scraping off leftovers and rinsing the remaining food off prior to loading it up.

I AM the dishwasher, always have been.  There's only two of us so I'd be running a dishwasher maybe twice a week for it to be worth it, including my big thanksgiving dinner day.

What I do chuckle about is my husband rinsing off the dishes before he hand washes.  Not necessary to do this honey, just wash the darn things!  ONCE!