Respected Contributor

Retired, but PT job says I need Cell Phone w/..?

Hi all, 

I've never had a cell phone, but thanks to the encouragement of the ladies on this board, for safety purposes (and emergencies), I bought myself a Tracphone for Christmas (2015).  I've only used it once.

Now, I'm applying for a part-time job requiring an "Android phone", 4.4 or above and 2 GB of RAM.

My question is, what is 4.4?  And how do I find it on my Tracphone?

How do I find out how much RAM is on my Tracphone?

Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Retired, but PT job says I need Cell Phone w/..?

[ Edited ]

Okay!

I clicked "settings", then "storage" and my phone says "Total Space 8GB", but underneath, it says "Available 1.6 GB". Miscellaneous - 3.80 GB

Uh???
I don't get it.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

l can't figure out what Re: Retired, but PT job says I need Cell Phone w/..?

Still can't figure out what 4.4 means ... 

Regular Contributor

Please be sure your new opportunity is not a scam. I cannot imagine why anyone would care whether you have a phone or what kind unless you are doing that app where you take pictures of businesses, restaurants, etc. and upload them. 

Respected Contributor

Re: l can't figure out what Re: Retired, but PT job says I need Cell Phone w/..?

@RinaRina wrote:

Ahh ha!  Android version 5.0.1.

So, I just need to be sure I've got at least 2 GB of RAM.

Honored Contributor

Re: l can't figure out what Re: Retired, but PT job says I need Cell Phone w/..?

What you need to figure out is if a job requires you to have a phone with those specifications why they aren't providing it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@RinaRina, 4.4 is aversionn Android number. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

What you need to figure out is if a job requires you to have a phone with those specifications why they aren't providing it...

Absolutely this. If any company I've worked for or friends have worked for has required a mobile phone, the company has always provided the phone and it and paid the bill. 

What will the job require you to do with the phone? Does it require using your own phone minutes or data? If anything they require you to do uses phone minutes or data, they should be providing the phone and footing the bill.

Respected Contributor

Just as an FYI, it is possible for a smartphone to be a job requirement.  My sister is employed by Nabisco as a stock person (she travels from store to store and takes the cookies or whatever that have been delivered to the store and arranges them on the store shelves).  Absolutely all communication with her supervisor is via smartphone, as she is on the road all day.  She had to buy an I-phone in order to get the job.  She had an Android, but needed an I-phone for this.  She even gets her weekly schedule over her phone.  (She loves the phone too!)

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

It's not unrealistic to think that a prospective employer would require someone to have their own phone to do the job.   If you're hired as an independent contractor, it would actually be unusual  for the employer to pay for your technology gadgets, as well as many other itemized expenses.

If you're hired as an employee (as opposed to independent contractor), the employer has more control over your job, your work rules, your schedule and thus should provide tools that enable you to do the job.

IRS rules about who pays for what and how  (employer vs. employee or independent contractor) are fairly explicit.

What you gain if the employer isn't paying your bills  is the ability to write off the expense of the gadgets,  as well as  car expenses, home office supplies,  and other job-related expenses on your tax return.  But you and the employer have to meet the federal definitions of an independent contactor vs. an employee.