Honored Contributor

Re: Recs for portable external hard drive?

[ Edited ]

@Brooklynny wrote:

Do any of you tech-savvy folks have any recommendations for a portable external hard drive much like the old Clickfree?  Microsoft installed Win10 on my laptop a couple of weeks ago -- unbeknownst to me!  Anyway, I don't think my old Clickfree is compatible with Win10, and their website has disappeared into oblivion.  I've google-searched for alternatives, and Seagate gets favorable reviews.  Any opinions or advice?  Thanks in advance!

there has been a thread here for at least a week about Windows 10 being installed automatically. Have you read that thread? The reason many try to help here is to prevent others from having the same thing happen.

ETA: Sorry, that thread is on the Community Chat Forum.

Why? Beats me.   hckynut(john)

As far as external hard drives? I have owned 3 of them, 2 of which I still have and use. I chose Seagate as my newest of them because of it's features and reputation. I wanted a 1tb hard drive and one that uploads info via 3.0 USB speed.

If I buy another, I will stick with Seagate.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Hey Nick!  I've had Seagate products in the past and don't remember any problems. 

I think it's probably more of a brand preference than anything - more than what works best with any given brand of computer.   

What I'd probably do is go on a place like Amazon and read reviews for the products you are checking out.    Like anywhere, of course, every single review isn't credible but they sell such volume that I always find a lot of helpful reviews and information.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi CB, I've been reading the reviews on Amazon for the Seagate, and they seem to be good.  I like reading the questions and answers, too.  I think I'll probably just order it.  I am not using anything now, and I'd hate to loose my pictures and documents.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@hckynut, yes, I saw the thread but not before the darn thing updated itself.  I've always clicked "no" when prompted to install Win10, but I guess Micorsoft doesn't take "no" as an answer.  I wanted to decide if I wanted Win 10 before the free offer expires in July.  Anyway, I was leaning towards Seagate as I've seen many 4+ star reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.  I think I'll go ahead and order one,  thanks for the input, everyone.  Much appreciated.

Valued Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@hckynut, yes, I saw the thread but not before the darn thing updated itself.  I've always clicked "no" when prompted to install Win10, but I guess Micorsoft doesn't take "no" as an answer.  I wanted to decide if I wanted Win 10 before the free offer expires in July.  Anyway, I was leaning towards Seagate as I've seen many 4+ star reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.  I think I'll go ahead and order one,  thanks for the input, everyone.  Much appreciated.

Excuse the typos.  The forum problems still haven't been fixed, and I can't edit without backspacing and deleting half a sentence and starting all over.  Heeeshh....

Respected Contributor

@hckynut, the Windows 10 thread is also in Community Chat because there seems to be a growing number of posters experiencing the Windows 10 problem, who might never come to the Electronics forum.  It's just a matter of reaching more posters with a fix for this annoying issue.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

I usually buy Western Digital hard drives from  Amazon with a three year warranty. 

Honored Contributor

@nutmeg3 

I bought my last Seagate from them also and it also had the 3 year warranty. I have had several external drives and none of the had any problems. I gave 1 of them to my sister and it ain't missed a beat.

Western Digital is certainly a very reputable company for sure. I don't think anyone buying either brand would have problems.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

I also am looking for the same but still have Windows. 7. I set my computer to not do the Windows 10 update a few weeks ago. 

I still have my Clickfree and it still works but the website is now Kooboodle and that is now gone, I would like an easier way to get my files back. I bought a Toshiba Slim External drive but it wasn't the easy back-up I wanted as Plug and Play.

Thanks for posting

I use Carbonite to backup my main computer.