Valued Contributor

Recs for portable external hard drive?

Do any of you tech-savvy folks have any recommendations for a portable external hard drive much like the old Clickfree?  Microsoft installed Win10 on my laptop a couple of weeks ago -- unbeknownst to me!  Anyway, I don't think my old Clickfree is compatible with Win10, and their website has disappeared into oblivion.  I've google-searched for alternatives, and Seagate gets favorable reviews.  Any opinions or advice?  Thanks in advance!

Respected Contributor

Re: Recs for portable external hard drive?

I also am looking for the same but still have Windows. 7. I set my computer to not do the Windows 10 update a few weeks ago. 

I still have my Clickfree and it still works but the website is now Kooboodle and that is now gone, I would like an easier way to get my files back. I bought a Toshiba Slim External drive but it wasn't the easy back-up I wanted as Plug and Play.

Thanks for posting

Honored Contributor

I have a few, but my newest one is a 1tb Toshiba USB3 external hard drive that I really like.  

Even if you have an older computer that only has USB2 ports, it is compatible.  Might as well have the most current tech, I figure, and also that one has lots of space.   

I got it on Amazon and, as I recall, it was pretty affordable.

Respected Contributor

Thanks @chickenbutt Does the one you have make it easy to get the files and move them to another computer also?

Honored Contributor

Hi MKR! 

Yes, VERY easy.  You can just copy files (obviously, you cannot move programs - just files such as documents, pics, and other such items and folders) from one computer onto the external hard drive.

Then, if you additionally want to copy them to another computer, you just plug it into the other computer and copy them there.  It's just a 'drag & drop' type deal.

Now, you not only have your file backed up on the external hard drive but you have them on more than one computer.  I do this a lot.  Having learned my lesson with having a computer just die one day, years ago, I started putting all the stuff I didn't want to love in AT LEAST two places.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I've been looking at them this past week.  I'll probably get the Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB from Best Buy.  It's on sale for $54. (reg. $99).  Very reasonable.  Best Buy price matches too.

Occasional Contributor

I've had a toshiba shock proof for now...4 years now, and still have no problems. Not just that I purchased one more two years back and have still to open that from its box. It's a perfect back up, and this was when TB weren't very common. I'd recommend these. 

Respected Contributor

@chickenbuttSounds like what I am looking for. Could let us know what one you got on Amazon. There are several that look similar. I like the plug and play without a lot of things to choose from they add to the product. I like my photos,documents, and music backed-up. The rest is not important. They need to make a mini one for our iPads. There is a new SanDisk that QVC sells for the iPads but reviews are not in enough to get yet. All mine have the newest plug for them and that was compatible. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

THIS is the one I have.  Looks like I purchased this one last July and it was a just a few dollars more (I paid $61).

I have absolutely no complaints.  I chose it for the size.  I don't save stuff like hd movies or really ginormous files - just documents, pictures and other such items.   

I also chose it since it has USB3.0, instead of the older 2.0 - just for speed.  Works fast enough for me.  Smiley Happy

I also, BTW purchase Case Logic hard drive cases for my external hard drives.  There is room for the hd on one side and a netted in area on the other side for the cord. It's kind of a hard case.

THIS is the case I have for this particular hard drive and it's perfect in size.  Case Logic makes outstanding quality cases.  I use this brand for many different types of cases and have for years.   They are also so affordable!  Just a few dollars more for great protection. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been thinking about getting one for my MacBook Air, too.  I believe Seagate is the one they recommended at the Apple store.  Does anyone have a Seagate for their Mac?  What do you think of it?  Any complaints?  Is it easy to use?  I've never used one before.  I mainly want it for my pictures and documents.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau