Honored Contributor

Re: Recommended 46" or so tv?

[ Edited ]

Samsung has been the #1 TV for 9 years for a reason. We have 2 of them. One a 37" LCD lit in the master bedroom and our recently bought 65" curved 4k/3d tv in our Patio Room.

Talk about a great picture? I have yet to see any other brand come anywhere close to it when it comes to LED/LCD in 1080p. And when it comes to 4K? I've seen several top brands showing 4K content and if they covered all the names it would take me less tha a second to know which was Samsung.

Yes, they are that good.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This year I replaced 4 TVs as I had the square boxy ones. I bought 2 22" (I think), 32", and a 50" all Samsung. I love them all! I didn't realize how terrible the reception was on my old sets. The 32" and 50" are also Smart TVs. I thought I just had to have a Smart TV but in all honesty I don't even know how to use them! I really don't think you can go wrong with a Samsung and this is from someone who always bought Sony!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

The last TV I bought was a 50" Samsung, my first of that brand.  It is a smart TV but I didn't buy it for that.  I bought it for other features such as HDMI plugs, USB plugs, audio output etc.  

Most flatscreen tvs have lousy sound, very tinny.  I paired mine with the Bose sound system with great success.

My advice is to figure out what features are important to you and begin your search.  Be prepared to add at least a sound bar.

You can calibrate your own TV by searching the Internet for settings for your model.  I did that myself rather than pay someone to do it for me.

Love my Samsung.  Would buy another.  Have had good Sony, good Toshiba, fantastic Pioneer TVs.  Would not buy another LG.  We were very disappointed in that one but that was more than five years ago.  Read your reviews.

Good luck!  LM

We have had our 65" 4k for only a few weeks now and it is in our patio room. I have a Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound System hook up to it via Optical Audio. Now this is by far the best, but?

Now this set has one of the thinnest bezels of all the Samsung models, thus less room for speakers other than having them set in backfire fashion. I've watched a lot of shows, even movies in 4K with a few different types of audio in them. Most are Dolby 5.1, but also DTS and HD Audio.

It is amazing how much sound, and good sound comes out of the tv set running only through the low power speakers it came with installed.

I of course prefer my great surround sound system, but had I not been and audio purist? The sound this TV produces would be good enough for me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn, John, so the speakers that came with the 4K are good?  That is good news!  LM

Frequent Contributor

What is the eye thing?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jifner1956 wrote:

What is the eye thing?

Not sure exactly what you might be asking, " eye thing"? Some Samsung models have an "optional" camera you can buy for certain models Samsung als

has a model with an option that detects certain arm/hand movements to perform functions of the tv set.

hchkynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Jifner1956 wrote:

What is the eye thing?

@Jifner1956

There are some reports that the interactive feature (the "eye") that can be used by the viewer can also be used by others to "spy" on you in your home.  That's why some people either disable it, or cover the "eye" with something.   Those are the reports.  I don't know all the details, but have heard about this.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Samsung has been the #1 TV for 9 years for a reason. We have 2 of them. One a 37" LCD lit in the master bedroom and our recently bought 65" curved 4k/3d tv in our Patio Room.

Talk about a great picture? I have yet to see any other brand come anywhere close to it when it comes to LED/LCD in 1080p. And when it comes to 4K? I've seen several top brands showing 4K content and if they covered all the names it would take me less tha a second to know which was Samsung.

Yes, they are that good.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

Yes, they are that good.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

Hmmmm!  See if I am a Super now

Ho boy, now I am a Super

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

We have  two Samsungs and they have excellent pictures. They're smart tv's. One is a 46" & the other is a 32". 

Happy shopping!