Respected Contributor

Received my new-refurbished Kindle Keyboard

today and it's perfect and looks brand new.   I love my Kindle Keyboard!!!

I ordered it through an "other seller" on Amazon with the Amazon Fulfillment and got it in two days.  I then called Amazon's 866 phone number and a "Kate" walked me through registering it, since it was not yet registered with Amazon, as my brand new tablets were.  She also helped me "sync" my two Kindle Keyboards together as I had a problem doing that over the last few weeks.

Amazon does really have the best customer service.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Received my new-refurbished Kindle Keyboard

@Big Sister, what is the difference between the kindle keyboard and the others?  I have a paperwhite, but I am not happy with it since it has started giving me quite a bit of trouble and not letting me open books.  I thought about a voyage, oasis, or maybe even a fire.  DH has a fire and likes it.  I need a new e-reader and will be purchasing one soon and would like your insights.  Thanks!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl  Hello.  I hope I can give you an insight as to why I prefer my Kindle Keyboard (Amazon doesn't make them anymore, so I chose to buy a refurbished one online at Amazon).

It is tall enough and light enough that I can hold it in one hand and use the "page press" to turn back or forward a page.  It does not have a "touch" screen so I don't inadvertently touch the screen when I am trying to hold it.  The "frame" around the Voyage screen is narrow and it was difficult for me to hold with one hand.  Maybe a case for it would help, but all the while I was using it, I was frustrated and wanted my Kindle Keyboard.  It was the right decision for me.

You can go online and read about the Kindle Keyboard.

The Keyboard has raised buttons in the lower part of the Keyboard and I use those to get to the MENU and HOME buttons, and toggle four ways to "tell" it what I want.  Click on one of those and you readily see what you want to do next, i.e. like GO TO...... 

and then I can choose to go to a page or location number etc.  It has the QWERTY keyboard for you to type in the name of a book or author and read about it/them before you decide to "buy" a book.  Of course, you can also download books from the Amazon site.  I have about 200 books listed in my "Shopping List."  I can go to my list and download a book I know I am interested it.  Of course you can read the description and reviews of each book.  I am a Prime Member and pay $9.99 a month to read all of the books that are Kindle Unlimited FREE, and I read a book every two to three days.

The Voyage is all touch and I found I was sometimes "touching" the wrong icon on the screen and had to backtrack.  The Voyage does have a lighted screen that will adjust to the light in a room.  I love that feature and if it were on the Keyboard, then it would be the perfect ereader.

All in all, the smaller Voyage was not comfortable in my one hand.

You can go online at Amazon and search for Kindle Keyboard and see what is available and for how much.  I chose one for $99 that was in
"excellent" condition, like new, and I paid $60 with a gift card.  There are some listed by third party sellers that are manufacturer refurbished and that's what I would suggest.  You can get them for less than $99 and I've seem them listed for $300 and it's certainly not necessary to pay that high price.  And I would be able to return it if I wanted to.

If you decide to buy the Kindle Keyboard, call Amazon's 866 number and someone will walk you through getting it "registered" in your name like I did.   I usually call them late at night and have to wait about one min. or less before someone is on their line to help me.

Think about it and if I can help you again, please let me know.  The bottom line for me is that the Keyboard ereader is more user friendly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sister, thank you for the information.  I really appreciate it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!