Respected Contributor

I noticed that I'm running low on data on my phone, but I still have a lot of phone and text time.  I am looking at my settings and I'm not sure if I have them set correctly.

I have my Wifi button on all the time and I also have my mobile data button all the time.  Should I have the mobile data button off?  Would that save my mobile data time? I am really unclear about how this works.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Tracfone Users

Turn off your data, only use WiFi.

Use the data only if there is no WiFi available, just keep it off.

Go through Settings & click Data off.

I almost never use my data.   I have no need to use it.

@Winkk wrote:

I noticed that I'm running low on data on my phone, but I still have a lot of phone and text time.  I am looking at my settings and I'm not sure if I have them set correctly.

I have my Wifi button on all the time and I also have my mobile data button all the time.  Should I have the mobile data button off?  Would that save my mobile data time? I am really unclear about how this works.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@software - Thanks so much.  I'll follow your directions.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

Thanks.

@software wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks, software, you helped me,too...I don't even know what mobile data is for...but mine was turned on and i only have 7.something left...so i turned it off...now i only have wifi and bluetooth on...is that what i should have on...thanks again...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@circles, if your not using Bluetooth, turn that off too.
Wi-Fi, GPS, other features that draw on your battery should be turned on when needed and then turned off again to save needless battery drain. But leave the Power Savings on all the time.

The settings in your device AND the settings in your apps should be set to conserve mobile data and battery.
For instance, even with data and Wi-Fi turned off, your phone will turn on your mobile data to update an app at anytime UNLESS you set it to only update using Wi-Fi, and only update with your permission.

Also, in Mobile Data settings, your "background data restricted" should be on at all times to prevent slow, steady drain of data.

You will use your mobile data when you must use Internet or GPS and you aren't able to pick up any free Wi-Fi.

You will also need mobile data to download any pictures or sound that is sent to you on a text.
You will need to turn on your mobile data when you send pictures or sound to someone else using text.
This use of data to send or receive pictures in texts is necessary even when you are in a Wi-Fi area.
Turn the data off as soon as you're done sending or recerving. Of course, texts that are only words /no pictures don't need data to transmit.
@Winkk

Esteemed Contributor

@Winkk, if you find you need to buy additional data but still have ample talk and text, you can buy "Data only" on the TracFone website. Last time I looked it was only $10. bucks for 1 GB of data. (That type of card will not triple).

Respected Contributor

All of you who help those of us who are not "techies" are so grateful that we can go on these boards and know one of you will help us.  Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sister, I'm sorry I always write these loooong answers, but I never kno what the person on the other end already knows. And I presume others might come across the posts and benefit from the information even if it wasn't needed by the original asker.
Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:
@Big Sister, I'm sorry I always write these loooong answers, but I never kno what the person on the other end already knows. And I presume others might come across the posts and benefit from the information even if it wasn't needed by the original asker.

I appreciate your posts however long or short they are...I am completely confused when it comes to anything electronics..and no one here to help me...so i come to these boards for people like yourself who are willing to help....thank you for being there....

Super Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Also, in Mobile Data settings, your "background data restricted" should be on at all times to prevent slow, steady drain of data.

I thought I knew everything about my tracfone (it is my 4th and I love it!) but I never tried restricting the backround data before.  I've done that for the last few days and it seems to function okay with that restriction.

Have you discovered anything else, beside picture and sound transmission, that needs the data unrestricted?

My LG Premiere LTE shows a message "Backround data restricted- touch screen to remove restriction" on my Lock Screen. Seems as long as you restrict the data, that message will stay on the Lock Screen. (?)

Glad I read your post the other day - Thanks!