Respected Contributor

Question about streaming devices such as Apple TV, Roku etc...

I can not seem to find my answer googling.....

Do any of these  offer local channels? As in actual  live TV   not just shows already aired.  and not sports( The CW, CBS, ABC,NBC, PBS....etc)   and does it truely replace cable?  many channels charge to stream  so I wonder if its really worth giving up cable. What are the bnefits of having such a device on top of your cable service.

Just want to hear from people that use them already

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about streaming devices such as Apple TV, Roku etc...

Streaming devices provide a way to download content, not by channel or time period. It is not scheduled programs like on channels from broadcasters or cables. You subscribe to the streaming service or device and then you pick what you want to watch, when you are ready to watch it. Could be a program seen on NBC , etc, could be something on TNT or A movie, not from any channel.

If you want to watch programs particularly on scheduled channels at their real time viewing, keep your cable or FIOS or antenna and tune in as usual. If you like seeing tv programs, any of them,  at your convenience any day or time of day, and with unlimited access to what is available on the full spectrum of tv out there, without being packaged and scheduled, then give up cable and pick a streaming service.

The downside of most streaming is that live sports is excluded or costs extra because if the high licensing fees. If you like to watch a ball game or golf, streaming generally is not the way to go because it gets extra fees for that.

You can give up cable if you can watch a variety of content at your convenience. If you enjoy scheduled viewing, keep the cable or add streaming at a low level like Netflix for about $8 a month to compromise. 

Hope i helped. 

Frequent Contributor

HI @kcladyz I use a roku for my streaming. I get abc, nbc and a few other channels but none offer live local TV. I would have to use an antenna for that. I am able to just get local channels from Comcast so I don't have to use a antenna right now. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Respected Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

Do any of these  offer local channels? As in actual  live TV   not just shows already aired.  and not sports( The CW, CBS, ABC,NBC, PBS....etc)   and does it truely replace cable?  many channels charge to stream  so I wonder if its really worth giving up cable. What are the bnefits of having such a device on top of your cable service.

The short answer is no.  At least not in real time.  With my streaming options (2 smart TVs/2 Apple TVs), there is the option for network channels for an extra fee.  For example, CBS anytime is available for a monthly subscription.  You can often watch network TV programs the next day using your computer.  If you're an Apple household, you can stream what is on your devices/computers using Apple TV. 

If you want local and network news or programing, get an antenna.  It's a great option except if you live in a very rural area.  The best reception from an antenna is when it's located outside but there are some good indoors antennas.  The over-the-air High Definition broadcasts are actually full HD and are better than the compressed version cable and satellite services offer. 

Another option is to have only basic cable with a limited number of channels. Depending on your area, basic cable can be as little as $20 a month.  

Respected Contributor

Do they still sell antennas for TV?  I just switched from the old analog TV to the Digitial  and got my first Smart TV.   For some  reason I thought I can automatically get  local channels without an antenna  but I  guess I am wrong. No channels without cable  being turned on Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

Do they still sell antennas for TV?  I just switched from the old analog TV to the Digitial  and got my first Smart TV.   For some  reason I thought I can automatically get  local channels without an antenna  but I  guess I am wrong. No channels without cable  being turned on Smiley Sad

They still sell antennas.  You can find them online or at electronic stores like Best Buy.  No, you don't get any TV stations without either cable, satellite or an antenna. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kcladyz wrote:

You have a new smart TV.  Check Your cable company for the cost of cable service for this set. You should ask about a bundle.

This TV may have built in Apps. You do need an HD cable box to get programs.

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

You can use a streaming box combined with one of the streaming services, like Playstation Vue, to get live local channels in many markets. You can also subscribe to CBS All Access to get live streaming from your local CBS station. There's Playstation Vue, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, and Sling TV all offering interesting packages these days with more to come.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I picked up  a Roku streaming stick and like it so far. there are 3-4 free movie channels