Valued Contributor

QVC selling the Samsung Galaxy SKy Tracfone

[ Edited ]

QVC is now offering the Samsung Galaxy Sky Tracfone. Item E230334, priced at $99.96

I bought this phone from HSN when it was sold there early December, but had to return it.  I thought it was a great phone, but it is CDMA (Verizon) and although that is supposed to work here, I could not get the phone to work.

Respected Contributor

Re: QVC selling the Samsung Galaxy SKy Tracfone

@JGalt wrote:

QVC is now offering the Samsung Galaxy Sky Tracfone. Item E230334, priced at $99.96

I bought this phone from HSN when it was sold there early December, but had to return it.  I thought it was a great phone, but it is CDMA (Verizon) and although that is supposed to work here, I could not get the phone to work.

jGalt, I just looked up this Samsung and Q's price is now $120.  When did you see it at $99.96?  I would be interested.

Super Contributor

For its price especially, it is a beautiful, sharp phone. I bought it for my mom so that she could try a smart phone before committing to a contract or a more expensive device. The Sky has a feature called Easy Mode that will enlarge all the icons and text on the device so that people with poor vision can see it better. Other smart phones allow you to change these settings as well to some degree, but the Sky has a one touch feature that handles enlarging everything at one time so that you don't have to search for each setting. It is also one of the few prepaid phones that I could find that is a 1g GB phone instead of an 8 GB phone. The only complaint that I have about the phone is that once you put a truly protective case on it (not the pos that comes with it), the speaker volume on calls goes way down. This is not helped really by maxing out the volume. Since my mom is hard of hearing, this is a problem. Unfortunately, she also has severe arthritis and cannot grip the phone securely enough to gurantee she will never drop it, so a case is needed. I may have to purchase a case that costs more than the phone, but it is worth it for her.

Respected Contributor

I got the email too and the price is $99. This phone only has triple minutes, no triple data or text.

Esteemed Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I got the email too and the price is $99. This phone only has triple minutes, no triple data or text.

That is not correct. 

Samsung Galaxy Sky Tracfone Smartphone with Case and 1350 Min/Text/Data

The phone will be the TSV on the 14th.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@deeva wrote:

That is not correct. 

Read the Q&A for this phone. Several people said that only the minutes tripled when adding  airtime to the Samsung. 

Esteemed Contributor

@deeva wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@deeva wrote:

That is not correct. 

Read the Q&A for this phone. Several people said that only the minutes tripled when adding  airtime to the Samsung. 

Several people are confused, @deeva 

@Marp is correct.

If you look at the TracFone website you will see that they have a vatiety of choices in Regular Airtime cards, and they have a variety of choices in Smartphone Only cards.

Regular airtime cards, which can be used in any type of TracFone, will triple in a smartphone.

Regular airtime cards always give you a combination of talk, text, data, and air time.

You will get Triple minutes, triple texts, and triple data when you put a regular airtime card into any TracFone smartphone.

But Smartphone Only cards do not triple.

A Smartphone Only card may or may not include airtime.

They offer smartphone only cards  which include a combination of talk text and data.

But they also offer smartphone only cards  that are only additional text .

And they also offer smartphone only cards that are only additional data.

So with a Tracfone smartphone, you have more choices because you can use any combination of either regular airtime cards or smartphone only cards, and you can buy cards according to the way that you use your phone.

While Smartphone Only cards are fairly new, I find it a bit disingenuous that they keep making the blanket statement that all your minutes will triple, since they only triple when adding a regular airtime card. And they are confusing people by continuing to use the word minutes when they actually mean [talk minutes, texts, and data].

The best way to understand this is to Simply go to the tracfone.com website and look at the airtime cards. It pretty much explains itself when you look at it.

Esteemed Contributor

Another reason I would never get a electronic from a shopping channel. I would go into a store and talk to a someone who works there to get all the information about the phone and the minutes/data and everything that goes along with a smart phone or any electronic.

Valued Contributor

I've been buying my tracfones at either QVC or HSN for years and I've never had a problem with knowing what I was getting.

I do plan to pick up this latest TSV. I'm due a new one.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

Another reason I would never get a electronic from a shopping channel. I would go into a store and talk to a someone who works there to get all the information about the phone and the minutes/data and everything that goes along with a smart phone or any electronic.

@apple1964

I have bought all my Tracfones, smart ones included, from a shopping network. I have got upgraded phones with each purchase and from dumb to smart phones. For what came with the phones, yes I use all of the "extra's", and cheaper than any store in our area.

I'm with you on Major Electronic purchases, but less than $100 cell phone? We part ways. Unless all retail stores have upped their wages, I doubt the sales clerks are experts on every Android cell that hits the market.

I think you may be underestimating the ability for many to be able to figure out how to use their smart phone features. For me it's about $$ in my pocket, and a shopping network is where I find the most for my buck.

Hey! Besides, their are many on this forum willing to help jump start a person's learning curve, right?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)