Honored Contributor

Re: QVC purchased Dell died!! Now very happy Mac Book Pro owner

@millieshops wrote:

Talk to me in 10 years or more - after you've amortized the price difference.

I bought a Dell 5 years ago (Costco) and it's still chugging and I still have the money I saved in the bank. The deal breaker at Apple for me came when after I had all the prices totalled up, the sales woman said, "Now you won't need another computer for 5 or 6 years."  What?! 

If I needed something the Apple could do that my Dell doesn't, then I'd pay more.  For my computer needs, this is fine --and even when I buy a Dell or HP or Toshiba replacement, I'll still have some of the money I decided not to spend 5 years ago.

5/6 years for a computer is not out of line, they do have some moving parts, (HD) and software gets more complicated, requiring more/bigger RAM etc

But I agree to chat with you guys, I don't need a MAC book

Respected Contributor

We're a Mac family.  iMac, iPad, iPhone.  I'd be loathe to go back to a PC.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years.  I went all Apple in 2012 and I'm glad I did. 

I love my Apple phone watch and pad, but not sure I want to spend that much on a laptop, but as someone upthread said, Windows10 pushed them over the edge.

Tried it hated it.

Right now have a Dell laptop that is just fine, but when it goes??????

I switched at the urging of my sister.  I wanted a larger screen desktop and bought a 27" iMac.  A year later I bought a 15" Macbook Pro.  I use them both daily and love the display.  I'm thinking of getting a new iMac with retina display but haven't quite talked myself into buying it.  I have vision loss and the retina display makes it easier to see. 

What I don't miss about Windows is the endless updates and security scans.   I understand Windows is a target because the majority of users have Windows computers.  It makes sense the hackers are going for the largest target. 

Apple products are not without their own problems.  After the latest OS update, I get an annoying popup every time I start my computer asking about scanning and my printer.  I have yet to figure how to stop it.  The hinge on my iMac stand broke, needed a repair and I successfully negociated with Apple to pay the bill. I've had programs stop working with the newest operating system update. 

My only real complaint about Apple computers, I don't like the way I have to organize my files.  I like to have more control, create folders with the name of what's inside and MOVE the files there.  This is especially true with my photos.  I also don't like how I can't easily access my photos within iPhoto to attach to a message, Facebook or e-mail.  These are minor complaints and I have found some work arounds. 

Update:  I installed new printer drivers and the popup is gone.  Thanks goodness. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jason, I'm sorry about your Dell's demise - hope you had a backup of important files -but wish you many happy years with Apple.

Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston

Good for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I once purchased a HP  laptop that had a bad hard drive from day 1. HP sent me a replacement. I then bought a Toshiba tablet and it was ****** from day 1.  I sent it back to toshiba for repair and i still was not functional. It would flash the apps on and off all by itself, overheat, and type  by itself. Ghost in the machine!  I sold it on ebay

Trusted Contributor

Are "Mac Airs" going to be discontinued?  I have been going to Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, Apple Store just to test drive  all brands (laptops).   And I think the Air is what I want... it's time to move on from tablets and I don't like Windows, so....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

Are "Mac Airs" going to be discontinued?  I have been going to Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, Apple Store just to test drive  all brands (laptops).   And I think the Air is what I want... it's time to move on from tablets and I don't like Windows, so....

Apple is going to introduce  new Macbook Pro/ Air in a week.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks NUTMEG!  The Dell XPS looks good too.....but who likes worrying about a virus?   The Apple announcement will be here in San Francisco.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

Thanks NUTMEG!  The Dell XPS looks good too.....but who likes worrying about a virus?   The Apple announcement will be here in San Francisco.

You may want to go to an Apple Store when the new laptops are introduced and look for a discount on a current item.