Trusted Contributor

Problems installing Yosemite ?

Has anyone installed Yosemite lately to their Mac's. I have a Macbook Pro - from 2010. I am repeatedly receiving the message 'Your browser is out of date'.

Everyone I know who did install Yosemite hated it. They made numerous trips to the Apple Store nearby. My Brother actually had his computer sanitized and Apple sent him the latest new system to re-install in his laptop. He said it is running great now.

Has anyone RECENTLY installed Yosemite and if so - where there problems. When I go to the site to install the browser the ratings are so bad and the same complaints are repeated over and over again. There are more votes for the worst rating (one star) than the best rating.

Regular Contributor

Re: Problems installing Yosemite ?

ok
Honored Contributor

Pie1993, I installed Yosemite on my iMac (desktop) as soon as it was released and I've been very happy with it. It's not a browser, it's an operating system, and there always are some complaints or problems associated with every version of every OS.

Not sure where you're seeing starred reviews, but if you want to install it you really should do so directly from Apple.com.

Here are some links:

Yosemite Discussions in the Apple Support Community:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/os_x_yosemite

How to install Yosemite:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475

and https://www.apple.com/support/osx/upgrade/

hth!Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Apple does not send out messages about things being out of date, please make sure you install your system from the Apple website and no where else

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I'd be wary of installing Yosemite on the Macbook Pro you have. I installed on my 2010 Macbook pro and it was HORRIBLE. I believe the issue revolves around how Yosemite handles images and paints the screen. Where my Macbook was the absolute best for photo editing, it became the absolute WORST for it. My life became bound by the spinning wheel as I surfed the web and as I tried to open and close iPhoto.

I read many many complaints posted by folks with the older Macbook Pros that said the same thing.

If you decide to load, make sure you do a complete back-up so that if necessary you can restore you computer to the earlier os, that's the ONLY thing that fixed my macbook.

Honored Contributor

I installed it on my imac months ago when it was released and I havne't had any problems with it. Not sure what there is to hate about it.

You should be installing from the app store app on your computer, not from a web browser.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Your browser out of date? Are you using Safari as your browser? That's Apples installed browser. There have been updates, and one just as recent as last week. Each updates address security vulnerabilities, so it's important to keep your browser updated. If it's Safari, that is updated through the App Store, click on updates at the top. You should see it listed there. If using a different browser, like Google Chrome or something else, you'll need to update through their website. As far as Yosemite, see post above from DooBDoo for link to instructions to install. But as she noted, Yosemite isn't a browser, it's the computer operating system.
Super Contributor

Other post was getting long, so I started a new one - as far as installing Yosemite I had a few problems after I did the install on my 2012 MacBook air. Still have a few. But about a month after initial install I did a re-install, and that seemed to help some. Also, Apple has issued two updates since it was originally released in Oct. the update fixed a few things that a majority had problems with. A third update is due out soon, maybe in the next week or so, and should address additional fixes, as well as add so,e new features. So...Yosemite is a work in progress, but what new operating system release isn't? We have to take the good with the bad sometimes.
Trusted Contributor

I'm afraid to install it. Mavericks really messed up my iMac for many months. I think they finally got the bugs worked out of it. I'm not ready to start all over again.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Lynnj said: Other post was getting long, so I started a new one - as far as installing Yosemite I had a few problems after I did the install on my 2012 MacBook air. Still have a few. But about a month after initial install I did a re-install, and that seemed to help some. Also, Apple has issued two updates since it was originally released in Oct. the update fixed a few things that a majority had problems with. A third update is due out soon, maybe in the next week or so, and should address additional fixes, as well as add so,e new features. So...Yosemite is a work in progress, but what new operating system release isn't? We have to take the good with the bad sometimes.

Therein lies the problem, for me at least. That didn't used to be the case with MAC system releases. This has mirrored the problems with windows releases which were behind me ditching windows for mac.