Valued Contributor

Evine had a Polaroid Smartphone as a special yesterday.

I am in the market for a new phone.

Anyone see it and/or have any opionions?

I didn't purchase.  Waiting for reviews.

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Polaroid isn't a big name in smart phones. I would not buy it. I want a name that has been making smart phones for a while.

Valued Contributor

That was why I didn't purchase.

I need a new phone but don't want to spend hundreds to purchase.

Honored Contributor

Sadly, after years of reliable though quirky products, Polaroid has slipped in overall reputation, at least with me.

I'd buy one of the more tried and true lines.

Honored Contributor

I'm no real help on that Polaroid phone, but buying it would violate my personal #1 rule on tech devices:  Buy something at least one friend or family member already owns. 

I need someone from whom I can easily get info, and when I violate that rule my tech life just seems to be more stresssful.  Knowing no one who is an owner, I'd be out.

Esteemed Contributor

@disneynut57 wrote:

Evine had a Polaroid Smartphone as a special yesterday.

I am in the market for a new phone.

Anyone see it and/or have any opionions?

I didn't purchase.  Waiting for reviews.

Thanks.

I'm a brand guy when buying most of my electronic devices. While Polaroid is a well known name to a lot of us, it is not a name associated with cell phones by many. Also, did you note, that this is an "Unlocked" phone?

Personally, I will stick with my Tracfones, made by companies that are well respected by those in the cell phone market place.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

John - it was an unlocked phone - what does that mean?

Esteemed Contributor

@disneynut57 wrote:

The answer is more complex than I am easily able to explain. I read some about an "Unlocked versus a Locked" cell phone, and it got pretty confusing to me.

What I did was Google: "Unlocked versus Locked Cell Phones". You can type that in and see if you want to understand it. I am happy with my Locked Tracfone so I will pass on trying to figure it out.

Let me know if you understand all the differences with Unlocked versus Locked with the different cell carriers. I hope you understand it better than I did.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@disneynut57 wrote:

It means you can use any carrier.  Most phones are "locked" to a carrier.  For example, I have an iPhone I have to use with Verizon.  Someone else may have a Samsung they must use with AT&T.  If it's unlocked, you can use either. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@disneynut57 wrote:

It means you can use any carrier.  Most phones are "locked" to a carrier.  For example, I have an iPhone I have to use with Verizon.  Someone else may have a Samsung they must use with AT&T.  If it's unlocked, you can use either. 

Hi gail,

That part I pretty much understood. I read with some unlocked phones you can use 2 different carriers by putting in 2 Sim cards.

They lost me on roaming charges/having a local phone number, and some details that different carriers charge for different options.

Too many variables for me so I quit reading about them. Gonna stick with my ultra simple Tracfone, nothing to figure out.

Thanks for helping out with your reply

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)