Honored Contributor

Phone Call On My IPad....Who Knew?

Yesterday, while using my iPad, I suddenly heard this strange sound.  Then I saw this notification showing my son's name and asking if I'd accept the call.  I accepted, of course, while laughing in surprise.  I asked him how he did that and he said he didn't know, he was using his wife's phone.  I think he instead end to instant messenger me.  Never knew you could call a person and talk.  I knew you could text someone but not talk.  Now that I think about it, it makes sense.  If you can talk to Sirie, you can talk to others.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Yesterday, while using my iPad, I suddenly heard this strange sound.  Then I saw this notification showing my son's name and asking if I'd accept the call.  I accepted, of course, while laughing in surprise.  I asked him how he did that and he said he didn't know, he was using his wife's phone.  I think he instead end to instant messenger me.  Never knew you could call a person and talk.  I knew you could text someone but not talk.  Now that I think about it, it makes sense.  If you can talk to Sirie, you can talk to others.

Do you have an iphone as well?   I know awhile ago there was some update that synced them so you could take a call.  My computer rings as well.   I've talked from my computer, but not my ipad.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Re: Phone Call On My IPad....Who Knew?

when i bought my samsung tablet, several yrs ago, the salesman said i could do this, but i forgot about it. now, i'll check it out. fun to find good surprises on our electronic gadgets!

Respected Contributor

You can disable that function. Mine was doing the same thing. I have an iPhone and my iPad would ring. Google it if you want it to stop 

Esteemed Contributor

Funny you should mention getting something you didn't know you had because that happened to me yesterday but mine said it was an audio message. I clicked on the "thingy" not knowing what it was and it was my son telling me what time to be at his house Mother's Day. I messaged him back saying how neat, didn't know what it was and he said, "I wasn't sure if you'd be able to figure it out". Because my kids all know new things throw me for a loop. I don't remember the exact wording but it said something about having 90 seconds (I think it was 90) before it expired or some such word letting me know I only had so long to listen to it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I don't have an iPhone, @debic.  I have a tracphone from HSN, lol.  But this was a genuine verbal communication call.   My son was using his wife's phone and she's the one that's techie so I'll have to check with her.  She's a little down today because her mom is passed on and Mothers Day makes her sad.

An audio message sounds like a phone message, @shaggygirl.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I have an iphone, ipad and imac.  When my phone rings, if I'm not near it, it will ring to my ipad and Mac and I can answer it in any of the three places.  I love that feature.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Hmmmmm. My devices don't do that.   Is there a setting for it ? 

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

No, I don't have an iPhone, @debic.  I have a tracphone from HSN, lol.  But this was a genuine verbal communication call.   My son was using his wife's phone and she's the one that's techie so I'll have to check with her.  She's a little down today because her mom is passed on and Mothers Day makes her sad.

An audio message sounds like a phone message, @shaggygirl.

No clue then.   I just assumed my stuff was syncing with the phone and that's why it worked.   One weird thing on mine is the ipad keeps ringing several time after I've already answered the phone.  LOL

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613 wrote:

Hmmmmm. My devices don't do that.   Is there a setting for it ? 

@glb613- on your phone, go to settings and then scroll down to phone and then here are the next two screens. 

Calls on other devices:  should say "when nearby". 

Then go go to the next screen in that same setting. Turn on "allow calls on other devices". And below that it says allow calls on and turn on both the iPad and Mac choices. I did some screen shots but for some reason I can't get them to insert on my post here. 

Let me know if that works. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?